ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to apply for naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier1-immigrant

Do I need to apply for naturalization

Post by tier1-immigrant » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:01 am

Hi,

I got my ILR via 5year Tier1 visa route, last year. Now can I directly apply for British passport or do I first need to apply for Naturalization ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Do I need to apply for naturalization

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 am

Only a British citizen can apply for a British passport. You are not a British citizen.

You have to apply to naturalised as British first and meet all the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:01 am

You need to make a naturalisation application, get approved by the Home Office, attend the citizenship ceremony at your local council and get the naturalisation certificate. That last stage is when you become a British citizen. Then you can apply for a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tier1-immigrant

Post by tier1-immigrant » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks. Checked the process for applying for naturalization.
They ask for life in UK test certificate and knowledge of English language. Those were already proved during ILR application. Do I still need to provide them ?

World Traveller
Newly Registered

Post by World Traveller » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:10 am

tier1-immigrant wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am
Thanks. Checked the process for applying for naturalization.
They ask for life in UK test certificate and knowledge of English language. Those were already proved during ILR application. Do I still need to provide them ?
Yes, such documents will be scanned again.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:15 pm

tier1-immigrant wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am
Yes. It is a separate process, under different laws and rules, dealt with by different teams.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tier1-immigrant

Post by tier1-immigrant » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am

If I have lost my LIUK test certificate is it possible to get a copy from the test centre.

Also lets say if its validity has expired (say its been more than two years). can that still be used for naturalization or do I need to take the test again?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:29 am

Life in the UK test doesn't have a validity limit. It's indefinite.

However, if you lost the certificate, you have to re-sit the test.

The English test is valid 2 years.