ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK resident moving to Ireland with Non EU wife?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chuckyd747
Newly Registered
Bermuda

UK resident moving to Ireland with Non EU wife?

Post by Chuckyd747 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi, I have been offered a great job in Ireland and wish to accept. I am a UK citizen from birth and hold a UK passport.
My wife is from NZ and holds a NZ passport. She is living in the UK with me currently and we are 6 months into the second term (2 1/12 year term) of the 5 year spouse visa route.
I think if I leave the UK during this period to work in Ireland(and leave her in the UK which is one option we discussed) that we would not be able to complete the 5 year route (as I wouldn't be present in the UK for the full term) thus not able to apply for ILR at the end of the 5 year term.
I'm thinking maybe it would be better for her to move to Ireland with me at the same time, but am a bit vague on what will happen after Brexit (like everyone else I expect!)and would hate to be in limbo afterwards!
Has anybody any ideas which option would be the best for us please?
When I move forward with this it will be fast (like the end of October this year) so any pointers would be much appreciated.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: UK resident moving to Ireland with Non EU wife?

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Your right to free movement between the UK and Ireland is guaranteed under the CTA and won't be impacted by Brexit (short of you having to navigate through a hard border if everything goes to hell in a hand basket). Your wife's spouse visa won't be impacted by Brexit. So you would go ahead and move her there with you but under CTA rules not EU ones. The fact that she has a UK spouse visa doesn't matter as it pertains to relocating to Ireland and she'll need to go through the Irish immigration process as a non-EEA spouse. Another option would be to move to Northern Ireland so she can retain her spouse visa, move toward IRL and then citizenship while you commute across the border, unless the job location makes that impossible.