ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch tier 2 to european

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Takatu
Newly Registered
India

Switch tier 2 to european

Post by Takatu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

From India.I came ontier 2 work visa to uk . Because of brexit i want to switch from tier 2 to portuguese ( naturalisation). I am in Uk since 2015 .will these years count towards my years in uk. how to go about

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switch tier 2 to european

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

How do you qualify for Portuguese citizenship?

If you have to naturalise, then you are only Portuguese/EU citizen from the date it is granted/approved etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Takatu
Newly Registered
India

Post by Takatu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Thnx

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Takatu wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Because of brexit i want to switch from tier 2 to portuguese ( naturalisation).
If you do not want to depend on your employer, why did you wait to switch now that Brexit is a thing and not before? Not sure I understand your reasoning. Brexit has no impact on your Tier 2 visa.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Takatu
Newly Registered
India

Post by Takatu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:00 pm

I wanted to use this route of naturalisation stay here for 5 years and take british. But if i see the expense it is way beyond n i have 2 dependents now. Well i have got presettled status now and i am surrendering Indian. How do i submit my brp to home office? Any advice?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Takatu wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:00 pm
I wanted to use this route of naturalisation stay here for 5 years and take british. But if i see the expense it is way beyond n i have 2 dependents now.
Are you saying that you came to the UK under the Tier system and only now that you see the elevated costs of ILR via the UK immigration route, you are using your Portuguese citizenship? This really begs an answer to CR001's prvious question: How did you qualify for Portuguese citizenship, and when did you acquire it? Makes no sense that you did not use it when you first arrived in the UK.
Well i have got presettled status now and i am surrendering Indian.
At this point, I'm just assuming you just struggle to separate unrelated ideas into different sentences.

Pre-Settled status has nothing to do with dual citizenship. For the sake of not confusing anyone reading this post, let's clarify that you have to first obtain Settled Status, then wait one year after that to be eligible for British citizenship. I'm assuming you are now surrendering your Indian citizenship because India does not (for now) allow dual citizenship, and you have just taken up Portuguese citizenship.

Now coming back to what I can only guess was your original question: How to switching from Tier 2 to EEA, then qualifying for PR/Settled Status, then British citizenship.

Given that on Septemeber 6th you were asking how to start the switch, I am assuming you got your Pe-Settled status in the last few weeks, after also having acquired Portuguese citizenship very recently (since you are surrendering your Indian citizenship only now). Your date of entry in the UK as a EU national is the date you acquired your Portuguese citizenship. If you acquired Portuguese citizenship in September 2019, you have to wait 5 years to be eligible for Settled Status (September 2024), then a further year to be eligible for British citizenship (September 2025). As CR001 said, your residence years in the UK prior to your Portuguese citizenship do not count towards any of this.
How do i submit my brp to home office? Any advice?
Seems to me like returning one's BRP to the HO this is mandatory for people having acquired British Citizenship, but not for people no longer using their BRP for other reasons. I could not find a clear address for this anywhere. Try posting this on the Tier forum, since technically speaking this is not related to EEA queries.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Did you acquire your Portuguese citizenship by connection with Goa?

Kamoe and CR001: also see Portuguese Citizenship is a Gift to the Goans and they are using it in the best possible way.

Apparently many Goans have settled in Swindon, where the Honda factory closure has hit this community particularly hard.

To the OP: I am not entirely sure whether Portuguese citizenship acquired by connection with Goa is from birth or from the time the descent is registered with the Portuguese Central Registry. That will impact the answer as to whether time spent in the UK on the Tier 2 visa will count towards the Settled Status timeline.

If your Portuguese citizenship is counted from the time of birth, then yes, those years on Tier 2 will count towards Settled Status as you were a Portuguese citizen at that time. You may neeed proof or documentation from the Portuguese authorities that your Portuguese citizenship dates from birth.

If it only counts from the time that you were registered with the Portuguese authorities, then it does not.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Takatu
Newly Registered
India

Post by Takatu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:35 am

Takatu wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm
From India.I came ontier 2 work visa to uk . Because of brexit i want to switch from tier 2 to portuguese . I am in Uk since 2015 .will these years count towards my years in uk. how to go about

Takatu
Newly Registered
India

Post by Takatu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:52 am

Sorry for the confusion. When i entered UK i did not have my portuguese nationality. We Goans get it after registration through descent . One of my friend told me about the costs for ILR and British Nationality which are very high so i then gave a thought read about the costs n started the paperwork 2 years ago.I just got my paperwork completed and got my National ID card last month. So i used it to apply for presettled status. I am surrendering Indian as India does not allow dual citizenship.

Hope this clears the confusion