ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

does free part time college course counts as claiming benefit which would affect spouse visa?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raykwan121
Newly Registered
China

does free part time college course counts as claiming benefit which would affect spouse visa?

Post by raykwan121 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:43 am

Hello everyone, I am thinking to apply for a part time GCSE course at a college and it is free of charge. But I am a bit worry about it affecting my spouse visa extension. So is there anyone one can confirm me that does this kind of free education would count as claiming benefit ? Would it affect my visa ? Thank you all

geoeng
Canada

Re: does free part time college course counts as claiming benefit which would affect spouse visa?

Post by geoeng » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:55 am

If it's funded by the government it's probably worth confirming the eligibility requirements with the college as it's very possible these courses would not be available for free to non-EEA students or those that don't meet a minimum UK residence requirement and that information just isn't included in online descriptions.

geoeng
Canada

Re: does free part time college course counts as claiming benefit which would affect spouse visa?

Post by geoeng » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Here is the guidance on what does and does not count as public funds: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4.0ext.pdf

If government funded, there's a good chance this would fall under the category of state-funded schooling.