ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Two wives prior to naturilisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

raz93

Two wives prior to naturilisation

Post by raz93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my dad’s naturalisation application .. my dad has had two wives my mother and my step mother .. he married both long before moving to UK from Pakistan ..

He moved from pakistan to UK on Tier 1 Ent in 2013 and got ILR in 2018 .. my mother joined him as dependant wife in 2015 ..

Now i am filling his application for naturalisation .. in relations section .. shall we include his other wife(my step mother) and my step sister .. or should they be left out as they have no plans of coming to UK.. also what are the legal implications in this scenario..

Thanks for your time..

secret.simon

Re: Two wives prior to naturilisation

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 am

Irrespective of the order in which he married them, he can only sponsor one spouse to the UK. Therefore, as your mother is already in the UK, your step-mother cannot come to the UK on a dependent spouse visa (she can on some other visa, just not on a dependent spouse visa).

As your step-sister was born outside the UK, for her to register as a British citizen, both her parents would need to be settled in the UK (having ILR) and at least one parent should have British citizenship, before her 18th birthday. As her mother will not be settled in the UK, she will not be able to claim British citizenship purely through her father.

However, any future children born to your father and your step-mother after the issue of the naturalisation certificate/citizenship ceremony will automatically be British citizens by descent, even if born abroad.

Due to that last possibility, I am inclined to suggest that your step-mother and step-sister should be mentioned in the application form, but wait for others to advise.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raz93

Post by raz93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 am
Irrespective of the order in which he married them, he can only sponsor one spouse to the UK. Therefore, as your mother is already in the UK, your step-mother cannot come to the UK on a dependent spouse visa (she can on some other visa, just not on a dependent spouse visa).

As your step-sister was born outside the UK, for her to register as a British citizen, both her parents would need to be settled in the UK (having ILR) and at least one parent should have British citizenship, before her 18th birthday. As her mother will not be settled in the UK, she will not be able to claim British citizenship purely through her father.

However, any future children born to your father and your step-mother after the issue of the naturalisation certificate/citizenship ceremony will automatically be British citizens by descent, even if born abroad.

Due to that last possibility, I am inclined to suggest that your step-mother and step-sister should be mentioned in the application form, but wait for others to advise.
Thanks for your advice.. my father is around 68 and my step mother is around 65 .. quite unlikely for them to have babies now lol ..

So to what i understand nothing is wrong according to english law as to his relationship status(polygamy)..

raz93

Post by raz93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 am

Also to add either of them do not plan on coming to UK for settlement.. however, unless something disastrous happens..

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 am

raz93 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am
So to what i understand nothing is wrong according to english law as to his relationship status(polygamy)..
Well, to the best of my knowledge, the second marriage is not recognised for immigration purposes, but is recognised otherwise if it was valid in the country where it was held. Others will correct me if I am wrong.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raz93

Post by raz93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks for your advice .. also one more thing .. i do not remember if when applying for Tier 1 Ent we wrote their details in entry clearance or the initial application ..
So in case we did not .. and we do it now .. would that be counted deception ?

raz93

Post by raz93 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 am

I managed to find a copy of initial entry clearance application .. where we did fill up details of my step sister but not my step mom as it did not had any section where it could be stated..

raz93

Post by raz93 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm

HI MODERATORS,
i am filling up the online application form and got stuck at previous marriages section as it would not proceed unless previous marriage end date is not given.. any suggestions please.

raz93

Post by raz93 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:09 pm

any suggestions please..