ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application on hold due to different surnames

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Roman12
Newly Registered

British passport application on hold due to different surnames

Post by Roman12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,
I am not sure if this has been asked on the forum before,but really need some advice on this issue.

I had applied for my first British passport in September this year following my naturalization.

I recently informed via a letter to that my application has been out on hold as my previous passport (Indian citizenship) has my maiden name whereas I had applied for my British passport with my surname after marriage. I have used the maiden name for my naturalization and the certificate shows the same maiden surname that I use. However the passport caseworker has informed me that she cannot issue a British passport until I cancel my Indian passport or get my name changed in the Indian passport.

Unfortunately this has put me in a confusion as the Indian government will not cancel the passport until a passport of another nationality is produced (dual citizenship is not allowed in India) and they cannot change the name on the passport as this would require them to issue of a new passport which can only be provided to Indian citizens. Since I have acquired British citizenship, I can not be issued a new Indian passport.

The online passport application asked for my name and also any previous names such as maiden name, so I had filled the application with my married name as the name and previous name with maiden name as suggested in the application. I think this caused the confusion ( I really think they need to revisit how they have structured their application wordings).

I was under the impression that they would take the name on the Indian passport and the name on the naturalization certificate ( which is same - my maiden name) as the name for British passport (and it has always happened whenever I had applied for visa or visa extension, despite providing the marriage certificate)

Which is why I am surprised by why this query has been raised in the first place. If this was not allowed then why was this query not raised at the time of the naturalization application? I have also produced a valid marriage certificate, which I believe is a sufficient proof and evidence of my previous surname and my current surname.

The reason that was quoted to me was that the caseworker cannot issue a passport for an individual in two identities,.

I am so confused :cry: as to how to resolve this now, please provide me with guidance.

Your prompt responses and advice for resolution of this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport application on hold due to different surnames

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:49 am

HMPO will not issue a passport in a different name to your foreign passport and naturalisation certificate.

You should have applied for the passport in your maiden name.

british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... l#p1590319
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Plotoder
India

Post by Plotoder » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:06 am

You can surrender (effectively cancel) your Indian passport using your Naturalisation Certificate. VFS will require you to write a brief letter explaining why you are not presenting a passport, just write that you haven’t applied for it yet.

Roman12
Newly Registered

Post by Roman12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Can I not withdraw my application so I can get my documents back and reapply under my maiden name??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Contact HMPO and advise them you wish to proceed with the passport in your Maiden name and see what they say.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Roman12
Newly Registered

Post by Roman12 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 am

All sorted and done now.
Received the British passport. Thank you everyone who replied for helping :D

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:16 am

Can you please elaborate?

There are many people in desperate situation where they acquired the British Citizenship but they cannot get a British passport due to inconsistencies in their names.

How did you fix your issue? I am sure it will help many.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:16 am
Can you please elaborate?

There are many people in desperate situation where they acquired the British Citizenship but they cannot get a British passport due to inconsistencies in their names.

How did you fix your issue? I am sure it will help many.
Surrender your other passport, use Statutory declaration to change name get it signed by commissioner of oaths ..and submit to HMPO clarifying which name you will like to keep. This is to bring consistency in IDs.

or if you want to keep another passport (if allowed) then you will need to get that corrected with the name you want to use for all future references.

The idea is both of your passports should have same name.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

Thank you for that.

It works only in the case where you original country allows/forces you to return your passport.