ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving Birth in the UK with a Visitors Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Eaxz45
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Giving Birth in the UK with a Visitors Visa

Post by Eaxz45 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Good Day all,

I am a British citizen working in the UK and my wife is Nigerian, in Nigeria at the moment and I returned to the UK in September to start a new job. She currently has a visitors visa and we will be applying for a spouse in March next year. She's due to give birth at the end of February. We were looking at her giving birth in the UK and returning to Nigeria to proceed with the Spouse visa application.

Will giving birth in the UK on the Visitors visa affect her Spouse visa application, even though we will be paying for the birth? If not feasible, is there anything we can do for her to give birth here and not affect her application negatively?

Thanks in advance for your help.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Giving Birth in the UK with a Visitors Visa

Post by zimba » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Giving birth while in the UK as a visitor (even when the medical bills have been paid), is likely to affect a future visa application as the Home Office may well consider that she failed to declare the true intentions on entering the UK. What is stopping you from applying for a Spouse visa application now ?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Eaxz45
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Eaxz45 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:34 pm
Giving birth while in the UK as a visitor (even when the medical bills have been paid), is likely to affect a future visa application as the Home Office may well consider that she failed to declare the true intentions on entering the UK. What is stopping you from applying for a Spouse visa application now ?
I retured to the UK in September to start a new job so unfortunately I don't have pay slips for six months.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm

I would be very slow to advise you to do that.

Even if a private clinic gives you a quote for a birth, there is always a risk of complication. If a clinic has any issue with a delivery, they can immediately transfer the patient to the NHS on emergency basis. Then, you can end up with a 6 digits bill like nothing, If unpaid, it can cause serious trouble for any visa in the future.

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:34 pm
Giving birth while in the UK as a visitor (even when the medical bills have been paid), is likely to affect a future visa application
I know every case it’s different, but I disagree. I was in the same situation and when I applied for the spouse visa, I wrote down a cover letter explaining what happened, especially enclosing invoices to prove the bill was paid. Needless to say, I didn’t have any problem on this particular matter. As long as you pay the bills and you demonstrate it, it should be fine.

Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm
Even if a private clinic gives you a quote for a birth, there is always a risk of complication. If a clinic has any issue with a delivery, they can immediately transfer the patient to the NHS on emergency basis.
This is the real problem. If your wife and/or your child face a complication during the delivery, they will need extra medical attention, circumstance that will exponentially increase the costs. You may have to rethink about that, because a £9,000 bill can stupidly rise if, for example, one of them would need ICU attention.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 am

Jaune08 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 pm
I know every case it’s different, but I disagree. I was in the same situation and when I applied for the spouse visa, I wrote down a cover letter explaining what happened, especially enclosing invoices to prove the bill was paid. Needless to say, I didn’t have any problem on this particular matter. As long as you pay the bills and you demonstrate it, it should be fine.
In my view Zimba is correct. As we all are aware that the visit visa now require more heavy scrutiny of documents & intentions and not disclosing the original purpose i.e to deliver baby will undermine your credibility for future visas although it may not affect spouse visa other than few extra delays. Also on mentioning the original purpose i.e delivering the baby the visit visa wont be issued. I don't think the same level of scrutiny is being exercised where a visa free national arrived at UK airport claiming the entry against a visa national who has to apply visit visa with a lot of documents from abroad. In this scenario the OP's wife is Nigerian (visa national) and as per your previous posts you are a Mexican national (none-visa national).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Eaxz45
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Eaxz45 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. To be on the safe side we'll have the birth in Nigeria before the application.