ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Awaiting Naturalization application response

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eggbert
Newly Registered
Bolivia

Awaiting Naturalization application response

Post by eggbert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:24 am

Hey i'm growing very impatient that it's been 2 months since i submitted the application and they still haven't sorted me with citizenship. I'm mostly pissed off because i believed i should have had the right of automatic citizenship and not had to pay the thousands of pounds and go through this crap. So some details would prob help; i came to the UK in february of 2001 from Bolivia(my current citizenship) when I was 1 month old and have lived here ever since with my fully british stepfather the whole time. I'm 18 years old now and like britian is all i've ever known... so why on earth do i not have the right to automatically gain citizenship?? sorry if this came off as rude it's just it really bogles my mind how someone wouldn't be entitled to country's citizenship when it's the only place they've grown up in. If anyone could explain why this is the case it would help ease my rage, thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Awaiting Naturalization application response

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am

Incredibly rude and self entitled yes!!

You have no "automatic" right or claim to citizenship as you do not have a British born BIOLOGICAL parent. There is nothing special about your circumstances and you have to apply and qualify like everyone else.

Do you hold indefinite leave to remain??

Why have you waited so long to apply?

Presumably you met the life in the UK test and English requirement for citizenship if you are over 18??

For the purpose of citizenship, step parents do not count and are irrelevant, regardless of how long you have lived here.

Citizenship is a privilege, not an entitlement or a right.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:23 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am
Incredibly rude and self entitled yes!!
My impression exactly.

You could have acquired British citizenship automatically if your British citizen step-parent had adopted you as a child.

The only time that British citizenship is acquired automatically is at birth/adoption, assuming the requirements of the law are met. Acquisition at any other stage in life requires applying for either registration or naturalisation and is not automatic. Even non-British children born in the UK, who have lived in the UK for at least 10 years and many of whom have not left the UK, do not acquire citizenship automatically, but must register/be registered for it.

It would have been wiser for your parents/step-parent to register you as a British citizen before your 18th birthday. But one can't change the past.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

eggbert
Newly Registered
Bolivia

Post by eggbert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:45 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:23 am
It would have been wiser for your parents/step-parent to register you as a British citizen before your 18th birthday. But one can't change the past.
I know right like it would have been much easier if they had done that? But no because they're lazy and didn't bother I suffer the consequences, that's what makes me frustrated, you can't really blame it on me as a child it shouldn't be my responsibility to get them to apply, like they didn't even tell me I didn't have british citizenship I had just always assumed I had it till i found out when i was 18, tbh I didn't even have a clue about what citizenships were untill now

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:40 pm

You could discuss your frustrations with your parents rather than venting here. It's possible they also didn't have a clue.

In terms of it being 2 months already, you could peruse the Timelines threads to give you an idea and gauge when you might expect a response.

edgr699
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by edgr699 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:55 pm

POST APPLICATION QUERIES

Will receipt of my application be acknowledged?
You should receive an acknowledgement within six weeks.
If you have not received an acknowledgement within eight weeks please email us at:

FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

Giving your full name date of birth and address.

I emailed them both after 2 months and they answer me after 3 working days, saying that my invitation letter will be despatched Thursday, 24/10/19 and that I have to allow 10 working days to arrive.

I do understand, how frustrated that can be but just send them both an email, they will give you an update on your application.

Best of luck!
:wink: