ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR error impact citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

justaquery
Pakistan

ILR error impact citizenship?

Post by justaquery » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi everyone

I got my ILR in 2019 after spending 5 years on a tier 2 general visa. My application was done by the immigration solicitor at my company, however, for some reason, he accidentally changed one of my dates on the ILR application form and submitted the application to the home office. In response to the question, how long have you been living at your current address, the answer was 1 June 2018, however he input 1 June 2016.

Unfortunately I spotted this error after the submission, I was very worried however he told me not to worry as this wouldn’t impact my ILR decision, and true to his word, I got my ILR approved and issued. However, I am now worried about my citizenship naturalisation application to the home office in 2020.

When I make the naturalisation application to the home office, they will want my 5 year address history, i want to give the honest answer which is that I have lived at the current address since 1 June 2018 rather then the incorrect date on my ILR application. However this will mean there is an inconsistency between the two applications. What should i do?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: ILR error impact citizenship?

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello

Little errors can happen now and then. You can't do anything about that. The forms are long and anyone, including professionals, can made mistakes.

However, never do anything on purpose. Regardless what your solicitor wrote in the address history for the ILR, put in the right information. They may or may not compare with the ILR and if they do, they will understand it was a mistake you corrected.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Thank you for the response. Do you think I need to include a cover letter or something to explain the discrepancy when I make my naturalisation application? Or will I be scoring an own goal by over emphasising a minor discrepancy?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 am

justaquery wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:13 pm
Thank you for the response. Do you think I need to include a cover letter or something to explain the discrepancy when I make my naturalisation application? Or will I be scoring an own goal by over emphasising a minor discrepancy?
You will find various schools about this. I think you will be scoring an own goal.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:54 am

You are overthinking. Keep calm and fill in the actual true dates in your application. If they will spot inconsistency they will ask and then you can explain. And this isnt an error to impact HO decision on your citizenship. Relax!

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. Much appreciated.