ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick question: applying for a fiance visa while holding a tourist visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rtbb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Quick question: applying for a fiance visa while holding a tourist visa

Post by Rtbb » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi, just a quick couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to apply for a fiance visa while holding a tourist visa? While outside the UK, of course.

2. When applying for a previous tourist visa, my partner claimed she didn't know anyone in the UK to make the application smoother (while we had been in a relationship for over a year and a half). Will this affect our fiance visa application?

Thanks.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Quick question: applying for a fiance visa while holding a tourist visa

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:30 pm

1. Is it possible to apply for a fiance visa while holding a tourist visa? While outside the UK, of course.
Yes you can. Once the fiance visa is issued, the tourist visa will cease to be valid.

The key with the Home Office is to be consistent and truthful all the time.

Rtbb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Rtbb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:30 pm
Yes you can. Once the fiance visa is issued, the tourist visa will cease to be valid.
Thanks.

So it's possible to hold a tourist visa while the fiance visa is being processed? Or is this moot due to the passport being required? How long is that for usually?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 am

Rtbb wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am
Thanks.

So it's possible to hold a tourist visa while the fiance visa is being processed? Or is this moot due to the passport being required? How long is that for usually?
You usually have to submit the passport with the application so would be unable to travel. There is typically a service you can pay for in order to keep the passport while the application is being processed, but the general advice would be not to travel to the UK while the application is being processed as there is a chance you would be refused entry (regardless of whether the tourist visa is still valid) as the officers would consider that person to be at risk of overstaying and not leaving. The visa application can take up to 12 weeks to be processed from outside the UK (sometimes longer) though there are some countries where you can pay an additional fee for faster service, though this is not guaranteed.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am

There is an issue with the statement given by your fiancee in her visitor visa application that she didn't know anyone in the UK. In the fiance visa application she will be required to provide information regarding when and where the relationship first began.

All information in previous visa applications is held on the UKVI system and cross-checked with details given in subsequent applications. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Rtbb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Rtbb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 am

Casa wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am
There is an issue with the statement given by your fiancee in her visitor visa application that she didn't know anyone in the UK. In the fiance visa application she will be required to provide information regarding when and where the relationship first began.

All information in previous visa applications is held on the UKVI system and cross-checked with details given in subsequent applications. :idea:
Right, thanks. So would you say it's worth explaining in the application (under exam stress, thought it may delay the tourist visa, etc) or just leaving it unaddressed?
geoeng wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 am
Rtbb wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am
Thanks.

You usually have to submit the passport with the application so would be unable to travel. There is typically a service you can pay for in order to keep the passport while the application is being processed, but the general advice would be not to travel to the UK while the application is being processed as there is a chance you would be refused entry (regardless of whether the tourist visa is still valid) as the officers would consider that person to be at risk of overstaying and not leaving. The visa application can take up to 12 weeks to be processed from outside the UK (sometimes longer) though there are some countries where you can pay an additional fee for faster service, though this is not guaranteed.
Thanks. So keeping the tourist visa while applying really doesn't matter.