ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bring partner to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Trigby
Newly Registered

Bring partner to UK

Post by Trigby » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 am

Hi everyone, I’m in quite a dilemma here.. I’m looking to bring my pregnant partner to the UK but am unsure what our options are.

I’m a British national who was until July 18 living and working in the US (5+ years), I returned back home to be able to provide assistance to my parents (father has alzheimer’s), upon my return I was working for 10 or so months but recently quit to pursue an engineering masters so that I’m able to move up in my field, get accredited etc.. so no longer have any regular income.

My non EU partner (who studied here and has a biomedical masters degree) and I have in the past day found out that she’s pregnant and we would very much like to bring up our little family here. We aren’t married but have no issue in getting a speedy fix to that.. I’m currently living in my parents house (6 bedrooms, plenty of space) but will get a place for us once I’m able. I have a decent level of savings for a 28yo, but not enough to cover full sponsorship which I believe is £62.5k.. My partner currently has about 4 months left on a visitor visa and has a full time job outside of the UK.

I’m completely lost as to where to begin and would appreciate any advice.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Bring partner to UK

Post by geoeng » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 am

Trigby wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 am
Hi everyone, I’m in quite a dilemma here.. I’m looking to bring my pregnant partner to the UK but am unsure what our options are.

I’m a British national who was until July 18 living and working in the US (5+ years), I returned back home to be able to provide assistance to my parents (father has alzheimer’s), upon my return I was working for 10 or so months but recently quit to pursue an engineering masters so that I’m able to move up in my field, get accredited etc.. so no longer have any regular income.

My non EU partner (who studied here and has a biomedical masters degree) and I have in the past day found out that she’s pregnant and we would very much like to bring up our little family here. We aren’t married but have no issue in getting a speedy fix to that.. I’m currently living in my parents house (6 bedrooms, plenty of space) but will get a place for us once I’m able. I have a decent level of savings for a 28yo, but not enough to cover full sponsorship which I believe is £62.5k.. My partner currently has about 4 months left on a visitor visa and has a full time job outside of the UK.

For the initial spouse visa application it is only your income that matters as a British citizen. You will need to be able to prove that you and your partner have lived together in a relationship for the past 2 years or that you are married (suspect you would have to get married in this case). You will need to prove that you can meet the financial requirement of income at least £18,600 per year or have cash savings of at least £62,500 held for a minimum of 6 months (income and cash savings can be combined to meet the requirement). If you have received any specified benefits (e.g. carer's allowance) for providing assistance to your parents, you may be eligible to apply under the adequate maintenance route in which case the financial requirement is substantially less. Don't think you should have any difficulties meeting the accommodation requirement, but will have to provide evidence of a suitable place to live. Additional details linked below:

Financial Requirements - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

Adequate Maintenance - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... x_1_7A.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 am

Hello

This document can help understanding what is required to act as a sponsor for your partner visa:

Appedix FM 1.7:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

This one is a good complement too (Appendix FM 1.7a):
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... x_1_7A.pdf

As mater of rule, you need a minimal revenue of £18'600 / year to be able to sponsor the spouse visa. However, any saving held under your control for 6 months or more, can be used as "revenue". So effectively, if you have £62500, this is the threshold from which you don't need to show any other revenue.

If you have £40'500 in savings, you need to show that you earn £8'800 / year. This is demonstrated by payslips over 6 months.

This table may help. You can find your level of saving and see how much revenue do you need. You can then find a job, even part time, to cover. This will allow you to assist your parents and still get your partner in the UK in due course:

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:24 pm

Trigby wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 am

If your partner has 6 months old savings even at abroad then it can be combined with yours to meet the financial requirement.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.