ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RaghuKarnati
India

English Language Requirement

Post by RaghuKarnati » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 am

Hi All,
My brother who is in India, is planning to come to UK on Tier 4 Student visa.
It is not clear to me if HomeOffice considers English Language tests other than IELTS?
Tests like TOEFL, PET, Cambridge: Does HomeOffice accepts these tests for visa approval?
Or is it dependent on University, if University accepts the test then HomeOffice will automatically agree to it?
The reason for asking is tests like PTE are bit easier compared to IELTS.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Hello

For immigration, there are specific requirements imposed by the Home Office. There is no point passing a non approved test because it's easier or cheaper, the Home Office won't accept it.

You have to pass they approve and only with approved providers:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/ ... of-english

This page will tell you all what you need.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by sah10406 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:40 am

It depends on the level of study. For degree level study at a Higher Education Provider, it is the university that does the English assessment and they can can do however they wish, including asking for IELTS. Otherwise, unless the student meets any of the (many) exceptions, IELTS is required.

See https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... layer-3004 > English language ability
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.