ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ferry- UK to Dublin

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

together_2017
Mood:
Ireland

Ferry- UK to Dublin

Post by together_2017 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:41 am

Hi,

Just encountered something weird?
Been traveling regular basis for company training in Manchester.
I m holding EUFAM never been stamped on my passport even when I m arriving on Dublin Airport. But today as per routine I was coming back on my car and lady in the cabin at dublin port asked for ID, I present EUFAM, but she insist for passport and being very rude telling me she needs to stamp the passport and in the end she did ‘green stamp dated & [010] Dublin Port ‘ how come she stamped my passport when I m just arriving from within EU? Never ever got stamped before ??

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Re: Ferry- UK to Dublin

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:57 am

If you’ve been travelling alone to the UK with the EUFAM Stamp and you’re from a visa requiring country originally then you’ve been very lucky indeed. Firstly being able to cross into the UK (unless of course you’re in possession of a valid appropriate visa) and secondly not asked at the Irish border for your passport.

See the Romania example (different countries similar scenario) which would apply to your case (Romania not part of Schengen Area currently)
I am a non-EU national living in Romania with my Latvian husband. What documents do I need to travel to Portugal?

If you hold a residence card issued in Romania under EU law and you plan to travel to Portugal with or to join your husband, or any other EU family member, you can enter Portugal simply on presentation of your passport and your residence card.

However, if you travel to Portugal on your own and do not plan to join EU family members there, you will require a visa even if you hold a valid residence card
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/europa.eu/y ... amp_en.htm

To my understanding EUFAM Stamp isn’t an EU ID National Card hence one should always have the passport with them. So the officer [would] arguably in this instance be crossed and annoyed with you for not producing the passport when asked.

As for the stamp, If we were so lucky as to have all border officers extremely well informed on the regulations of Freedom of Movement then stamping a passport isn’t required.

All the best

Bippin
Malaysia

Post by Bippin » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 am

Hi
Passport is needed for travel as proof of identity not residence card , and only EU citizen can travel with national ID but if they travel outside of EU they need passports also . Sometimes i got stamp sometimes dont sometines never seen border officer at the port of entry , so be prepare of all situations I would say

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:20 am

I agree with you. They are wrong. Should not have stamped you. The guys at Dublin port does not appear to know what they are doing.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

together_2017
Mood:
Ireland

Post by together_2017 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm holding a 2years UK visa so I wasn't just travelling on EUFAM. Almost regular weekly basis I go and never been asked like this from irish port officers before. Whenever they ask on arrival, Dublin port I provide them EUFAM & good to go.

Only once at Dublin Airport few months ago he stamped my passport on arrival from UK, and I told him I m not meant to get stamped? He immediately says oh sorry I forgot ur EUFAM,and he crossed the stamped and write something 'by mistake' so I m certain when coming from EU you don't get stamped.