ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police Registration Dilemma

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RadsAim
Newly Registered
Mood:

Police Registration Dilemma

Post by RadsAim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Hello,

I am in an absolute dilemma relating to police registration.

I am an Israeli national and I came to the UK on a fiance visa a few months ago, and my vignette had printed on it "Register with the police within 7 days of arrival" and I complied with that requirement and registered with the police and received a police registration certificate. I later find out that I was not supposed to have that requirement and it was imposed by error, as fiance visas are exempt from the registration scheme, however, as it was in my passport, and I felt it was too late to rectify the issue, I just left it.

I then applied for FLR(M) and got it. I received my decision letter as well as my BRP a few days ago and in my decision letter it clearly states "If you were required to register with the police you are no longer required to do so" and I took all my documents down to the police station to return the PRC and show them I am now exempt from registering. The officer said she didn't know what I am on about and didn't even look at my letters, she just sent it all off to the registration unit, and yesterday I receive the PRC back with a small letter saying I have not got settlement yet and I should still register....

I phoned them up and told them that my home office letter clearly states I no longer required to register and also I am on the exemption list as I am the spouse of a settled British citizen. The lady that dealt with my documents and registered me claimed she looked at them and she thinks I should still register... but didn't tell me on what basis she made this claim. I asked to speak to her manager and she claimed to be the only one working in the registration office and her manager is on long term sick and I cannot contact anyone higher... I told her I didn't agree with what she said, and her reply was "do what you want then", and I felt threatened.

What am I meant to do? I know legally I Should NOT register and it is beyond me how they neglected my paperwork and still claim I need to register when my home office decision letter states the opposite. I don't know who to contact and what to do about this as the registration unit claims I still need to register, she got quite nasty on the phone to me, saying its because I haven't got settlement, but that's not what my home office decision letter says..

Please some help. I don't know who to turn to and what to do in this case, I am being treated unfairly and I don't want to keep going to update them every time I change address or job when I am not required to do so by the home office.

A few links from the government regarding registration:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gistration

https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-po ... o-register

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Re: Police Registration Dilemma

Post by KristianDLloyd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:45 pm

RadsAim wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 pm
Hello,

I am in an absolute dilemma relating to police registration.

I am an Israeli national and I came to the UK on a fiance visa a few months ago, and my vignette had printed on it "Register with the police within 7 days of arrival" and I complied with that requirement and registered with the police and received a police registration certificate. I later find out that I was not supposed to have that requirement and it was imposed by error, as fiance visas are exempt from the registration scheme, however, as it was in my passport, and I felt it was too late to rectify the issue, I just left it.

I then applied for FLR(M) and got it. I received my decision letter as well as my BRP a few days ago and in my decision letter it clearly states "If you were required to register with the police you are no longer required to do so" and I took all my documents down to the police station to return the PRC and show them I am now exempt from registering. The officer said she didn't know what I am on about and didn't even look at my letters, she just sent it all off to the registration unit, and yesterday I receive the PRC back with a small letter saying I have not got settlement yet and I should still register....

I phoned them up and told them that my home office letter clearly states I no longer required to register and also I am on the exemption list as I am the spouse of a settled British citizen. The lady that dealt with my documents and registered me claimed she looked at them and she thinks I should still register... but didn't tell me on what basis she made this claim. I asked to speak to her manager and she claimed to be the only one working in the registration office and her manager is on long term sick and I cannot contact anyone higher... I told her I didn't agree with what she said, and her reply was "do what you want then", and I felt threatened.

What am I meant to do? I know legally I Should NOT register and it is beyond me how they neglected my paperwork and still claim I need to register when my home office decision letter states the opposite. I don't know who to contact and what to do about this as the registration unit claims I still need to register, she got quite nasty on the phone to me, saying its because I haven't got settlement, but that's not what my home office decision letter says..

Please some help. I don't know who to turn to and what to do in this case, I am being treated unfairly and I don't want to keep going to update them every time I change address or job when I am not required to do so by the home office.

A few links from the government regarding registration:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gistration

There is no requirement for spouse/CP to register with the Police, unless it is written on either your fiancé visa vignette and/or your BRP.

Application Type: Settlement, Fiancé
Application Date: 26 June 2019
Decision Date: 29 August 2019
Decision: Granted

Application Type: FLR(M)
Application Date: 23 October 2019
Decision Date: 28 October 2019

RadsAim
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by RadsAim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 pm

KristianDLloyd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:45 pm
There is no requirement for spouse/CP to register with the Police, unless it is written on either your fiancé visa vignette and/or your BRP.
Did you actually read my post? My fiance visa said I needed to register which I have done.. However my new spouse visa decision letter states I no longer need to do so.. But the police are disagreeing with that.. So what should I do?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Two slightly different information as who need to register. One at the police website and other on immigration site.

Immigration site
:
When you’re exempt
You don’t need to register with the police if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, or are a family member of an EEA citizen.

You also don’t need to register if you’ve got permission to stay in the UK as:

a seasonal agricultural worker
a private servant in a diplomatic household
a minister of religion, missionary or member of a religious order
the partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner) of a person settled in the UK
a person with access rights to a child resident in the UK
the parent of a child at school
someone who’s been given asylum
Police site:
Who doesn't need to register with the police?
If you have dual nationality with one country in the list above and one country that is not, you don’t need to register with the police.

Likewise, you don’t need to register if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, are the family member of an EEA citizen, or are visiting on a temporary visa as one of the following:

an agricultural worker
a private servant in a diplomatic household
a minister of religion, a missionary or a member of a religious order
the partner of a person settled in the UK
a person with access rights to a child resident in the UK
the parent of a child at school
an accepted asylum seeker
https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice ... -register/
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

RadsAim
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by RadsAim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Limited leave to remain is classed as temporary permission to stay as it is not settlement, and it still means the same thing on both websites. However, what about the fact my decision letter addressed to me personally says I no longer need to register? What do I do about this ridiculous dilemma as I know I no longer need to and the police unit say they disagree when I have got solid proof through a home office letter?

What if I do refuse to update them of change of address or change of place of employment? Home office letter says I no linger need to and they say something else.... What rights have I got?

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Post by KristianDLloyd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 pm

RadsAim wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 pm
KristianDLloyd wrote:
Did you actually read my post? My fiance visa said I needed to register which I have done.. However my new spouse visa decision letter states I no longer need to do so.. But the police are disagreeing with that.. So what should I do?
I did and you need not be so terse, certainly when someone kindly offers you advice.

HO are the higher authority on this. You are not required to register and if the Police contest this, provide them with a copy of your approval letter.

RadsAim
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by RadsAim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 pm

KristianDLloyd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 pm
RadsAim wrote:
KristianDLloyd wrote:
I did and you need not be so terse, certainly when someone kindly offers you advice.

HO are the higher authority on this. You are not required to register and if the Police contest this, provide them with a copy of your approval letter.
I certainly apologise, I did not mean it to come across in that manner. I appreciate your advice very much. I just meant to point out that I had already mentioned what you said in my post and was wondering genuinely whether you have read it. I am just stuck in a bit of a dilemma as I have provided the police with the approval letter and my concern is what if I am stopped one day and asked why do I not register when I have moved address.

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Post by KristianDLloyd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 pm

RadsAim wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 pm
KristianDLloyd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 pm
RadsAim wrote:
KristianDLloyd wrote:

I certainly apologise, I did not mean it to come across in that manner. I appreciate your advice very much. I just meant to point out that I had already mentioned what you said in my post and was wondering genuinely whether you have read it. I am just stuck in a bit of a dilemma as I have provided the police with the approval letter and my concern is what if I am stopped one day and asked why do I not register when I have moved address.
No problem.

The HO are responsible for immigration, security, law and order. They define the policies/laws that the Police enforce.

Your correspondence from the HO clearly advises that you are not required to register and so that should be taken as gospel. Indeed, their advice comes from a higher level than that of your local Police station and/or registration unit.

RadsAim
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by RadsAim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you very much for your answer, I am comforted that someone at least shares my view. Very thankful for your help and for you to have taken the time to respond to my long post. Hopefully it can be rectified with them.

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Post by KristianDLloyd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

RadsAim wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 pm
Thank you very much for your answer, I am comforted that someone at least shares my view. Very thankful for your help and for you to have taken the time to respond to my long post. Hopefully it can be rectified with them.
No problem - best of luck!