ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship By Descent resident question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dahlia
Newly Registered

Form ukf questions

Post by dahlia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi,
Thank you for assisting me with my approved Spouse Visa that is now good for 2.5yrs. I'm hoping you can assist me with my next question that has to do with Spouse Visa and British Citizenship.

I learned that I'm qualified to have dual citizenship (US and England) due to my father being British. I'm completing the application (Guide UKF) which will allow me to register as a British citizen. Is it correct that if my application is approved, I will no longer need to reapply for my Spouse Visa for another 2.5yrs once this Visa expires? I work towards Indefinite leave to remain by being on a spouse visa (2.5yrs + 2.5yrs=5yrs total) so will this no longer be necessary if I'm approved to be a British citizen with this application? Thanks so much for your help!!!
Dahlia

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Form ukf questions

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Moved your post to the corrdtt sun forum as the questions are not relevant to the spouse visa atopic or sub forum

How is your father British, is he UK born to British parents or born abroad to British parents and British by descent...?

Was he married to your mother??

Is he named on your original birth certificate?

A British citizen cannot hold a visa for the UK as a British citizen is subject to immigration control.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dahlia
Newly Registered

British Citizenship By Descent resident question

Post by dahlia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi,

I've recently learned that I'm eligible for British citizenship since my father is a British citizen. I'm completing the proper UKF Application which allows me to gain British citizenship by descent.

Since I'm an American currently living in the UK on a Spouse Visa (completing the first 2.5yr portion) will an approval of this British Citizenship application waive the 5yrs requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain? Am I correct in saying that I would be a British citizen by descent after approval/registration so wouldn't need to fulfill any further obligations to become a permanent resident?

Additional residency details: I arrived in country Nov 2017 on work visa and my spouse visa was approved in Jan 2019. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Dahlia

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship By Descent resident question

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Topics Merged!!!

I asked a number of questions when you posted this query previously which you seem to have missed.
CR001 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Moved your post to the corrdtt sun forum as the questions are not relevant to the spouse visa atopic or sub forum

How is your father British, is he UK born to British parents or born abroad to British parents and British by descent...?

Was he married to your mother??

Is he named on your original birth certificate?

A British citizen cannot hold a visa for the UK as a British citizen is subject to immigration control.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Apologies,

I thought my initial post was deleted so I posted again in this forum.
To answer your questions,
-My parents weren’t married when I was born, that’s why I’m applying with the UKF application (correct application to register as a British citizen if you were born before 1 July 2006 to a British father and your parents were not married).

-He is named on my original birth certificate

-He was born in Trinidad and is British by descent. I have his “Confirmation of Registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies” and he also served in the Royal Marines (I have his Certificate of Service).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm

dahlia wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm
He was born in Trinidad
Where were his parents and grandparents born? Were any of them born in the UK as currently constituted?

Where and when were you born?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll find out this info and get back to you shortly. Thanks!

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes, his mom’s side Of the family were born here in England and all constituted.
His Dad’s side in Trinidad.

I was born in the United States in 1973

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Was your father's mother herself born in the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Sorry didn’t get a notification that you replied.

Yes his mom was born in the UK

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:16 am

dahlia wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm
I have his “Confirmation of Registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies”
Does the registration certificate state where, when and by whose authority (Secretary of State, Governor, etc) it was issued?

Also, do you have a passport (or a copy of one) of his that states that he is a "British citizen" dated after 1983?

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Yes I verified the certificate has the date, location, by direction of Secretary of State and a Ref No.

Yes I have a copy of his old British passport and new one stating he is a British Citizen.
Do you know if they’ll require the original passport and documentation when I submit this application or will copies be suffice? Thanks for all your help!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 am

dahlia wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm
Yes I verified the certificate has the date, location, by direction of Secretary of State and a Ref No.
In this case, provided that your father's Registration Certificate predates your date of birth, then you can register as a British citizen using Form UKF.
dahlia wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm
Do you know if they’ll require the original passport and documentation when I submit this application or will copies be suffice?
I am afraid I can't advise you on that. I'll leave it for others to advise you on this point.

dahlia
Newly Registered

Post by dahlia » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm

That’s great!!
Last question, am I correct in saying if my application is approved then I’ll no longer have to worry about reapplying for the spouse visa and dealing with the 5yr resident requirement? Thanks so much for all your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 pm

dahlia wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm
That’s great!!
Last question, am I correct in saying if my application is approved then I’ll no longer have to worry about reapplying for the spouse visa and dealing with the 5yr resident requirement? Thanks so much for all your help!
Correct as I already advised on 11th November!!
CR001 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Char (CR001 not Casa)