ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR, Spouse Visa - Advice Please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ssbib

FLR, Spouse Visa - Advice Please

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:28 am

Hello all, it's been a couple of years since I posted as my wife has been with me in England for several years now and we have both been very happy, thanks to all the support received from here. Her visa is due for renewal in the spring and I have gotten a head start on research etc. to give myself plenty of time to get everything ready. I think I know what most of it should be like but I have a couple of questions if any of you can help.

One of the stipulations I see on the UK gov website states we must show "what we pay for together". We have always had a joint bank account that pays for all our daily living costs such as rent, utilities, TV license etc. Most of these bills are in both our names too, though not all. I thought this should be sufficient to satisfy this criteria but this morning I got to thinking... I am the SOLE contributor to this joint account. Would this be a problem? The reason being is that all of these payments are taken monthly and my wife gets paid weekly. Rather than try and complicate things we decided I would pay all the money needed in to this account each month and she contributes savings to another account that we solely keep for savings. Would the fact that I am the sole contributor to this account matter if it is in both our names? My wife made a point of saying that both spouses might not be in work and so this might not be possible and so I think I am merely overthinking this point. However if it is required we can divert funds from the other savings account in to the joint account between now and the spring to show her contributions but this is not our preferred way of doing things.

Secondly I recently learned that I need to have letters and bills showing proof of address for the full two and half years of the previous visa. I thought our tenancy agreement would be enough proof of residency and so this made me panic a little as I don't keep paperwork that far back. I have since managed to get copies of things so I am not too worried about this. I have got cover letters from the sources where I have had to print at home etc and have about 5 different sources of letters, some in individual names and some in both our names. However I read that we should submit 1 document for every 4 months, but this is not possible just because of when things like our water bills, rent renewals etc. were due. How should I best do this? Send in documents as close as I can to the 4 month mark or send MORE than necessary to cover the 4 months between each bill plus a few extras. I can easily get bank statements for every 4 months and then slot utility bills and council tax bills etc. around them.

Third, am I right in understand that the financial requirements can be a COMBINATION of both my earnings and my wife's earnings? I am comfortably above the threshold by myself but there is talk at work I might lose my car allowance which would drop my wage by quite a bit. I would still be over the threshold but it would offer peace of mind knowing my wifes earnings can be added to this. She is contracted for 16 hours a week but has been working full-time hours for well over a year. If her earnings can be added to mine would it be for the full-time wage she actually earns or the 16 hours she is contracted for?

Lastly, for now, I read a sticky here saying that there was a change to the English language tests in May 2017. My wife took a B1 level exam on 16th May 2017. We did the B1 to ensure we didn't really have to take any further tests in the future. Will this be in line with the new rules introduced on 1st May 2017 so long as the test centre is still listed on the approved list of test centres?

Thanks for all the advice here, no doubt I'll be back again in the future.

iwolga

Re: FLR, Spouse Visa - Advice Please

Post by iwolga » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:53 pm

One of the stipulations I see on the UK gov website states we must show "what we pay for together". We have always had a joint bank account that pays for all our daily living costs such as rent, utilities, TV license etc. Most of these bills are in both our names too, though not all. I thought this should be sufficient to satisfy this criteria but this morning I got to thinking... I am the SOLE contributor to this joint account. Would this be a problem? The reason being is that all of these payments are taken monthly and my wife gets paid weekly. Rather than try and complicate things we decided I would pay all the money needed in to this account each month and she contributes savings to another account that we solely keep for savings. Would the fact that I am the sole contributor to this account matter if it is in both our names? My wife made a point of saying that both spouses might not be in work and so this might not be possible and so I think I am merely overthinking this point. However if it is required we can divert funds from the other savings account in to the joint account between now and the spring to show her contributions but this is not our preferred way of doing things.
You are overthinking indeed. Focus on retrieving bills and other regular expenses. Most of the utility suppliers offer online access to your account with a retrospective of your bills. Joint account statements are also good but you need several sources of address confirmation.
Third, am I right in understand that the financial requirements can be a COMBINATION of both my earnings and my wife's earnings? I am comfortably above the threshold by myself but there is talk at work I might lose my car allowance which would drop my wage by quite a bit. I would still be over the threshold but it would offer peace of mind knowing my wifes earnings can be added to this. She is contracted for 16 hours a week but has been working full-time hours for well over a year. If her earnings can be added to mine would it be for the full-time wage she actually earns or the 16 hours she is contracted for?
Yes, for your piece of mind, yes, you can do that. However, don't overcomplicate your application. The more you give over required the more there is a chance to make a mistake. If you are strictly over 18600, just give your own financial papers

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks very much iwolga, good to hear that it’s just me overthinking.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Our names are jointly on our Barclays Bank account, council tax statement, water utility bill and rent agreement. Is that enough joint stuff from enough different sources? My wife is named on the house insurance too but I am the main policy holder.

Individual names are on TV license, gas/electric bill, GP letters and other bank statements.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 pm

ssbib wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Our names are jointly on our Barclays Bank account, council tax statement, water utility bill and rent agreement. Is that enough joint stuff from enough different sources? My wife is named on the house insurance too but I am the main policy holder.

Individual names are on TV license, gas/electric bill, GP letters and other bank statements.
All these will be acceptable for meeting the cohabitation requirement.
ssbib wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Lastly, for now, I read a sticky here saying that there was a change to the English language tests in May 2017. My wife took a B1 level exam on 16th May 2017. We did the B1 to ensure we didn't really have to take any further tests in the future. Will this be in line with the new rules introduced on 1st May 2017 so long as the test centre is still listed on the approved list of test centres?
If it wasnt used previously for the grant of visa and is expired now then it wont be accepted despite on list
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:55 pm

We used it for her initial visa when she moved over in 2017, it was AFTER the date of the new rules. She took the B1 course so we wouldn’t have to take any more. If it was taken and granted after the 1st May 2017 date then we should be able to use it shouldn’t we?

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Sorry for the double post but can’t figure out how to edit previous post. If I am understanding correctly then a test certificate lasts for two years once it has been taken but we CAN use it now for FLR because it was used for the initial visa entrance in 2017, despite it now being more than 2 years old? If this is the case how will they know it was used on the previous application, do they keep copies of the old applications?

Lastly can someone put my mind at ease and confirm that B1 is sufficient for FLR? B1 is greater than A2, which is what is needed at this stage, so we can use this B1 certificate again now for both FLR and ILR In the future?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 pm

ssbib wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm
Sorry for the double post but can’t figure out how to edit previous post. If I am understanding correctly then a test certificate lasts for two years once it has been taken but we CAN use it now for FLR because it was used for the initial visa entrance in 2017, despite it now being more than 2 years old? If this is the case how will they know it was used on the previous application, do they keep copies of the old applications?

Lastly can someone put my mind at ease and confirm that B1 is sufficient for FLR? B1 is greater than A2, which is what is needed at this stage, so we can use this B1 certificate again now for both FLR and ILR In the future?
Yes, your records are always kept and can be referred to especially since this is a follow up application to your spouse entry clearance visa.
If then your B1 is acceptable.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 pm

That’s good to know, thank you for confirming. I had one more question which I can’t think of now, haha, so I’ll probably post again when it springs back to my mind. Thanks again to everyone who has answered so far.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Oh I just remembered my final question. I knew it would come back to me as soon as I hit post! For FLR do we need to submit text messages and online chats and things again? I read somewhere that we do not because we are living together and that is only required when you are apart. Is this understanding correct? Thanks in advance.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 pm

ssbib wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 pm
Oh I just remembered my final question. I knew it would come back to me as soon as I hit post! For FLR do we need to submit text messages and online chats and things again? I read somewhere that we do not because we are living together and that is only required when you are apart. Is this understanding correct? Thanks in advance.
Correct

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Smashing. Thanks again everyone. Have a great weekend.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Hello everyone I have another quick question if I may...

I have had to get copies of a lot of my bills etc for last year as I didn’t keep the originals. I have managed to get cover letters for all of these from the issuing agent however by the time we submit everything to the UKVI the cover letters will be 5 months old. Will this matter too much? I will be submitting a mixture of originals and copies and anything past the date of the cover letter will be an original but I am wondering if I need to get another cover letter from them all closer to the date of submission?

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm

I've been a bit of an idiot when it comes to this visa renewal and I did not keep documents from the 2018/2019 financial year. I have been able to get copies of this from places like United Utilities and Wigan Council but none of them are true matches of the originals, UU have a huge "COPY" watermark on them and Council bills do not have payment information on the rear. I have been able to get supporting letters from these institutions to say that they are authentic copies etc. but I do not think this will be sufficient as I saw some guidance documentation that said ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINALS. It says that copies, with cover letters, MAY be accepted but that this is unlikely without a valid reason. I doubt they will accept that the originals were just lost. If we only use original documents and "allowed copies" with cover letters (such as bank statements and utility bills that are online only or our tenancy agreements where the original is held in the letting agent office) then I have the following to submit as proof of co-habitation:

Sept 2017: HMRC letter (wife, original) Bank statement (certified copy, me)

Jan 2018: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)
Feb 2018: Tenancy Agreement (wife and myself, copy with cover letter)
May 2018: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Utility Bill (me, certified copy)
Aug 2018: Tenancy Agreement (wife and myself, copy with cover letter)
Sep 2018: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)

Jan 2019: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)
March 2019: Council tax bill (wife and myself, original)
May 2019: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)
Aug 2019: Tenancy Agreement (wife and myself, copy with cover letter)
Sep 2019: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)
Oct 2019: United Utilities bill (wife and myself, original)

Jan 2020: Bank statement (wife, certified copy) Bank statement (me, certified copy)
March 2020: Council tax bill (wife and myself, original)

My questions at this stage are:

1. Is the above sufficient to satisfy the co-habitation section? Earliest submission date for our FLR is 20th April 2020. Do I need a document for April or will March be OK?

2. When it comes to submitting wage slips and bank statements for the financial requirements; if I get a new payslip and bank statement AFTER the application has been submitted but BEFORE we submit our documents for review, would I have to include this?

3. How do you submit documents for review when it comes to FLR? Do they take them all, including mine, when my wife attends her appointment?

4. Do I have to be present for her appointment?

5. Is it correct I do not have to send my passport in and that photocopies of EVERY page of this is sufficient and I sign a declaration on the application form?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions for me.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm

ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm
1. Is the above sufficient to satisfy the co-habitation section? Earliest submission date for our FLR is 20th April 2020. Do I need a document for April or will March be OK?
2. When it comes to submitting wage slips and bank statements for the financial requirements; if I get a new payslip and bank statement AFTER the application has been submitted but BEFORE we submit our documents for review, would I have to include this?
3. How do you submit documents for review when it comes to FLR? Do they take them all, including mine, when my wife attends her appointment?
5. Is it correct I do not have to send my passport in and that photocopies of EVERY page of this is sufficient and I sign a declaration on the application form?
1. Should be sufficient to meet the requirement. Something from April isn't necessarily required, just need a selection spread over the past couple years.
2. Everything needs to be from before the application date. No need to submit anything from after the application date and it probably wouldn't be considered anyway as you must meet the requirements before you apply.
3. For FLR(M) all documents are scanned and uploaded on the UKVCAS page. You can either do this yourself or pay them to do it.
4. No. Some centres won't let extra people in due to space constraints but they should let you know this after you setup the appointment.
5. Correct. No passports are submitted at all for FLR(M), only scans and copies. For the sponsor's passport, I think only a scan of the biometric information page is required, but feel free to include all the pages if it makes you feel more comfortable. The sponsor's travel history isn't really relevant to the application, only their citizenship.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm
ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm
1. Should be sufficient to meet the requirement. Something from April isn't necessarily required, just need a selection spread over the past couple years.
2. Everything needs to be from before the application date. No need to submit anything from after the application date and it probably wouldn't be considered anyway as you must meet the requirements before you apply.
3. For FLR(M) all documents are scanned and uploaded on the UKVCAS page. You can either do this yourself or pay them to do it.
4. No. Some centres won't let extra people in due to space constraints but they should let you know this after you setup the appointment.
5. Correct. No passports are submitted at all for FLR(M), only scans and copies. For the sponsor's passport, I think only a scan of the biometric information page is required, but feel free to include all the pages if it makes you feel more comfortable. The sponsor's travel history isn't really relevant to the application, only their citizenship.
Thank you goeng. It’s good to see you think this should be ok also. Just such a shame I can’t use any of the other copies I have. Such a stupid rule. When you state that no passports are submitted, only photocopies, should both of these be notified?

Any other opinions on the above will be greatly appreciated.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm

ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm
Just such a shame I can’t use any of the other copies I have. Such a stupid rule. When you state that no passports are submitted, only photocopies, should both of these be notified?
Sorry, shouldn't have said scans and copies. Originals are scanned and the file uploaded. I used a UU water bill with the copy watermark and didn't have any issues; not saying it's necessarily acceptable 100% of the time or that it would work for you, but it is still an original document. Similarly, because it's just PDF files that are uploaded, it becomes possible to use online downloads provided they look the same as the original. Again, a tactic to use at your own risk but worked for me as UKVI moves towards acceptance of digital documents.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm
ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm
Just such a shame I can’t use any of the other copies I have. Such a stupid rule. When you state that no passports are submitted, only photocopies, should both of these be notified?
Sorry, shouldn't have said scans and copies. Originals are scanned and the file uploaded. I used a UU water bill with the copy watermark and didn't have any issues; not saying it's necessarily acceptable 100% of the time or that it would work for you, but it is still an original document. Similarly, because it's just PDF files that are uploaded, it becomes possible to use online downloads provided they look the same as the original. Again, a tactic to use at your own risk but worked for me as UKVI moves towards acceptance of digital documents.
Thanks for that information. I think for general ease of doing things it would be easier to have paper copies of all and then get them to scan and upload them for us. There are going to be so many different documents to upload it would be easier for others to upload them for us.

How do you upload them exactly? Are you expected to have everything scanned in one pdf or are you sending them individually?? I suppose if I scan them myself I can use some of the council tax bills from 2017/2018 as I have official pdfs of those plus lots of other pdfs for utility bills. I think I could even get the united utility bills as odd without the watermark.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:11 pm

ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm
Thanks for that information. I think for general ease of doing things it would be easier to have paper copies of all and then get them to scan and upload them for us. There are going to be so many different documents to upload it would be easier for others to upload them for us.

How do you upload them exactly? Are you expected to have everything scanned in one pdf or are you sending them individually?? I suppose if I scan them myself I can use some of the council tax bills from 2017/2018 as I have official pdfs of those plus lots of other pdfs for utility bills. I think I could even get the united utility bills as odd without the watermark.
You upload the documents onto the UKVCAS website. There is a file size limit (believe it's 6MB), which is usually sufficient to group pages into reasonably sized files and they get uploaded into different categories (financial, identification, etc.). You can, for a fee, have them scan the documents for you at the biometric appointment.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:11 pm
ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm

You upload the documents onto the UKVCAS website. There is a file size limit (believe it's 6MB), which is usually sufficient to group pages into reasonably sized files and they get uploaded into different categories (financial, identification, etc.). You can, for a fee, have them scan the documents for you at the biometric appointment.
Thanks for that. It might open up some more opportunities for us. It’s hard to decide which way to go about it though to be honest.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:41 pm

I’ve been downloading the required bank statements this afternoon. I have noticed that on our joint account, which I will be submitting as one of my wife’s documents for proof of address, that there is a slight mistake on all the statements.

They have her name wrong on the account. My wife’s name on the ADDRESS LABEL is correct, as is the address. However to side of the page where it gives a summary of the account details it has flipped my wife’s two middle names. All the info is there and it is correct on the address label as I say but will this be ok? We are going to change it so that future statements are correct but there is no way to amend the ones that have already been issued.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:11 pm

ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:41 pm
I’ve been downloading the required bank statements this afternoon. I have noticed that on our joint account, which I will be submitting as one of my wife’s documents for proof of address, that there is a slight mistake on all the statements.

They have her name wrong on the account. My wife’s name on the ADDRESS LABEL is correct, as is the address. However to side of the page where it gives a summary of the account details it has flipped my wife’s two middle names. All the info is there and it is correct on the address label as I say but will this be ok? We are going to change it so that future statements are correct but there is no way to amend the ones that have already been issued.
Many banks just use the first name initials and surname on bank statements even on debit card.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Yeah our debit cards only have the initial on them, but the name on the statement is in full, but it’s flipped round for my wife.

As I said though the name and address on the address label is correct so for the purpose of co-habitation I think it should be ok. We are going to change it ASAP so it’s correct for future statements and I think I should be able to get a cover letter from the bank explaining the mistake and confirming they are correct statements etc.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Do we have to complete an Appendix 2 form, or anything similar, for FLR(M), like we did for the initial visa?

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:42 pm

ssbib wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 pm
Do we have to complete an Appendix 2 form, or anything similar, for FLR(M), like we did for the initial visa?
No.

The relevant questions are on the online form.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."