ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First passport application - question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yala93
Mood:
Ireland

First passport application - question

Post by yala93 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 am

Hi guys,

I have question regarding first time passport application. I know that they ask for passport ID proof together with application.

Do it mean they will hold on my passport until the Irish passport is done? I am trying to figure out when I will be able to travel with it.

Can you please advise if I can do express and how long it took you?

Thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: First passport application - question

Post by littlerr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:31 am

Yes they will hold on to it. However, you can submit a certified copy, or you can write to them to request for your passport back a day after you submit it.

If you have a genuine reason (e.g. have to travel by Irish passport), you can get an appointment in the passport office or do a walk-in.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Do you think I could get Irish passport(first time) in 6 working days if I visit Passport office in Cork?
littlerr wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:31 am
Yes they will hold on to it. However, you can submit a certified copy, or you can write to them to request for your passport back a day after you submit it.

If you have a genuine reason (e.g. have to travel by Irish passport), you can get an appointment in the passport office or do a walk-in.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 pm

masterboy123 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:37 pm
Do you think I could get Irish passport(first time) in 6 working days if I visit Passport office in Cork?
In theory the rapid service is only for those who have a genuine emergency, but i have seen a lot of people who got their passport within a few days with stupid reasons (e.g. travelling next week and only found out the child doesn’t have a passport, and they don’t want to disappoint the child etc). I guess it all depends on your reason and the mood of the officer.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm

I have a genuine reason to travel on Christmas with whole family air tickets booked. Hopefully they will make an exception.
littlerr wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 pm
masterboy123 wrote:
In theory the rapid service is only for those who have a genuine emergency, but i have seen a lot of people who got their passport within a few days with stupid reasons (e.g. travelling next week and only found out the child doesn’t have a passport, and they don’t want to disappoint the child etc). I guess it all depends on your reason and the mood of the officer.

yala93
Mood:
Ireland

Post by yala93 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm

littlerr wrote:
masterboy123 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply
Does it mean if I use walk in they will check my passport ID and give me back my original passport?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:51 pm

yala93 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm
littlerr wrote:
masterboy123 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply
Does it mean if I use walk in they will check my passport ID and give me back my original passport?
No. You will need to make a certified copy of the passport if you want it back, or you send the original passport to them and then send a letter requesting for it to be sent back. The staff there are not in a position to verify whether your passport is genuine.