ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can non-EU partner travel with UK passport holder to EU?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

byteb
Newly Registered

Can non-EU partner travel with UK passport holder to EU?

Post by byteb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi there,

Can my non-EU partner, who is currently living with me in the UK under a spouse visa, travel to EU countries with me. I hold a UK passport.

Also can she travel with me to the US and other countries where she is required a visa and I am not.

Thanks

Casa

Re: Can non-EU partner travel with UK passport holder to EU?

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 pm

byteb wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm
Hi there,

Can my non-EU partner, who is currently living with me in the UK under a spouse visa, travel to EU countries with me. I hold a UK passport.

Also can she travel with me to the US and other countries where she is required a visa and I am not.

Thanks
No. If your partner's nationality currently requires a visa to visit the EU or other countries (including the US), she will continue to require one until she has been granted British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by sky_rise » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:02 pm

that is a question that was important to me and few pointed on the forum there there is a practice that if you a member of EU country (which we are until brexit anyway), we can travel into the other countries (case was given for France), if travelling together and your spouse has residency in the UK. I will try to find links.

In fact, I know know of two actual facts when my friends (UK citizen husband and non-EU wife with spouse UK visa) did travel to France that way two times, and no problem. True fact!
"Ask me, and I shall provide it"

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by sky_rise » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm

please see here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... o-schengen

Your residence card was issued by a non-Schengen country and you are travelling to a Schengen country

You do not need a visa if:

you have a residence card as an EU national family member issued under EU rules by any EU country (except the country your EU partner is a national of). You must either be travelling together with your EU partner or are joining them in another EU country
"Ask me, and I shall provide it"

byteb
Newly Registered

Post by byteb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks all for the swift response. I was under the belief that if my partner is travelling WITH me on the same journey to whichever European country they will be entitled to entry without a visa.

The link: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... o-schengen has this explanation:
Your residence card was issued by a non-Schengen country and you are travelling to a Schengen country

you have a residence card as an EU national family member issued under EU rules by any EU country (except the country your EU partner is a national of). You must either be travelling together with your EU partner or are joining them in another EU country
Not sure if UK falls under EU rules or EU country in this case. UK is part of the EU so it is considered an EU country so I guess the above advice would allow my wife to travel with me to any EU country.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 pm

byteb wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:19 pm
Thanks all for the swift response. I was under the belief that if my partner is travelling WITH me on the same journey to whichever European country they will be entitled to entry without a visa.

The link: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... o-schengen has this explanation:

Not sure if UK falls under EU rules or EU country in this case. UK is part of the EU so it is considered an EU country so I guess the above advice would allow my wife to travel with me to any EU country.
According to your opening post, your wife holds a Spouse BRP under the UK Immigration Rules, not a residence card as an EU national family member (EEA Regulations). :idea:

Airlines are highly likely to refuse her to travel to mainland Europe without a Schengen visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.