ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it possible to register for citizenship after 18?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tttt4

Is it possible to register for citizenship after 18?

Post by tttt4 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 pm

I realise that my mum missed the chance to register me for citizenship under the discretion route when I was under 18. I’ve been here since I was 5 and I’m now 20. Currently on long 10 year parent route with myself as her dependent. Is there anything I can do or am I stuck?

secret.simon

Re: Is it possible to register for citizenship after 18?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:29 pm

There are certain specific routes that provide for registration after the applicant's 18th birthday.

Form UKM: For people born abroad before 1983, who could have acquired British citizenship if British mothers could pass on their British citizenship to their children on the same terms as British fathers.
Form UKF: For people born abroad before 2006 to a British father and whose parents were unmarried at the time of birth.
Form T: For people who were born in the UK and resided in the UK for the first ten years of their lives.

In your case, you will need to meet all the (the three absence, English language, LITUK, etc) requirements for naturalisation after acquiring ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tttt4

Post by tttt4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:29 pm
There are certain specific routes that provide for registration after the applicant's 18th birthday.

Form UKM: For people born abroad before 1983, who could have acquired British citizenship if British mothers could pass on their British citizenship to their children on the same terms as British fathers.
Form UKF: For people born abroad before 2007 to a British father and whose parents were unmarried at the time of birth.
Form T: For people who were born in the UK and resided in the UK for the first ten years of their lives.

In your case, you will need to meet all the (the three absence, English language, LITUK, etc) requirements for naturalisation after acquiring ILR.
I see that’s too bad

Thank you

1mic
- thin ice -

Post by 1mic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 pm

It is possible- contact https://prcbc.org/

Thank me later.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:04 pm

1mic wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank me later.
The poster is NOT UK born or stateless. The link you posted doesn't help the OP and the OP would still require ILR first and apply for citizenship as an adult as they are already over the age of 18.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

1mic
- thin ice -

Post by 1mic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 pm

CR001- the last time I asked about a UKF question on here you got it WRONG. You wouldn’t even reply you got it wrong and the same question was asked previously by someone else before me and you still got it WRONG But Obie got it RIGHT. You Claimed UKF was only for children of unmarried british father born abroad before 2006,No it’s not. UKF is also for children born in the UK before 2006 to unmarried settled (Ilr) Father.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:38 pm

1mic wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 pm
CR001- the last time I asked about a UKF question on here you got it WRONG. You wouldn’t even reply you got it wrong and the same question was asked previously by someone else before me and you still got it WRONG But Obie got it RIGHT. You Claimed UKF was only for children of unmarried british father born abroad before 2006,No it’s not. UKF is also for children born in the UK before 2006 to unmarried settled (Ilr) Father.
The person asking the question in this topic was NOT born in the uk or to an ilr holder father. Their current visas were granted 5 years ago on the basis of private life FLR FP!

general-uk-immigration-forum/can-a-20-y ... l#p1729952
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

1mic
- thin ice -

Post by 1mic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:54 pm

I think you should visit https://prcbc.org/ and read stories of kids turned adult in the same situation as the poster. PRCBC helped them register as British.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:01 pm

1mic wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank me later.
While the OP is more than welcome to visit the website referred to and indeed to contact them, it is highly unlikely that s/he will thank you. Indeed, there may be some not entirely positive thoughts for giving false hopes.

The British Nationality Act 1981 lists certain specific entitlements to registration, some of which last into adulthood. I have listed them above.

However, based on the information that the OP has given, s/he does not meet the requirements for any entitlement, as either an adult or as a minor.

The SSHD/Home Office does not have any power to register (as opposed to naturalise) a non-British adult (and that is what the OP is) at discretion. That power is reserved for people who were minors at the time of application.
Section 3 of the BNA 1981 wrote:Acquisition by registration: minors.
(1)If while a person is a minor an application is made for his registration as a British citizen, the Secretary of State may, if he thinks fit, cause him to be registered as such a citizen.
Again, please contact that website. The PDFs on that site lists pretty much exactly the same entitlements that I mentioned above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.