ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa bringing spouse and kids

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Apple1234
Newly Registered
United States of America

Student Visa bringing spouse and kids

Post by Apple1234 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:48 pm

I’m an American student who’s interested in studying medicine in Ireland. I will be able to obtain a student visa to study for the 5 years i am there. I’m inquiring about what I need to do to allow my spouse and children to join me during this time. I see that a 90 day tourist visa is available. Is there a way to extend this for the duration of the study?

joker
Ireland

Re: Student Visa bringing spouse and kids

Post by joker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:59 am

Very tough without money and what about Dublin's high rent?

atc
Newly Registered

Post by atc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:14 am

joker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:59 am
The original poster is asking whether it's legally possible and what visa their family would need. Whether they can afford it financially is a question for the poster to determine themself.

To answer the question "No. In general students will continue to have no rights to Family Reunification. There are some exceptions to the rule which can be found on page 14 of the Guidelines for Degree Programme Students."

Further info can be found on inis website...

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fr ... udents#Q18

Apple1234
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Apple1234 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:04 pm

joker wrote:
The school is in Galway and I’ll have enough to support my family and myself.

Apple1234
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Apple1234 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:07 pm

atc wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:14 am
joker wrote:
The original poster is asking whether it's legally possible and what visa their family would need. Whether they can afford it financially is a question for the poster to determine themself.

To answer the question "No. In general students will continue to have no rights to Family Reunification. There are some exceptions to the rule which can be found on page 14 of the Guidelines for Degree Programme Students."

Further info can be found on inis website...

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fr ... udents#Q18
That’s what I was thinking as well from the research I conducted. I then contacted my local consulate in the states and they stated that it would not be a problem. That I can bring my family on a student visa. So very conflicting info.

Is there a way to find out what the conditions are on the exceptions. It states on page 14 that if a student can fully support their family then an exception can be made. I’m trying to figure out what that number is in the mind of the Irish government. Personally from doing research on life in Galway my funds will be more than enough to support my family and I.
Last edited by Apple1234 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:11 pm

No. With the exception of doctorate students, most other students do not have a right to family reunification. I can’t think of any proper reason that your local consulate would give you this advice.

Your family can either visit Ireland as temporary visitors, or they can apply for Stamp 0. To be eligible for Stamp 0, they will need to prove that they have financial threshold of 50,000 euro per person per year, plus a lump sum that is the equivalent of a property in Ireland.

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am

A friend of a friend from USA is doing a Masters at UCD. She brought her husband and 3 kids along and all of them were registered at INIS in Dublin without a problem. The university gave them a letter outlining her program, length of study, fees she paid etc mentioning her family coming along. The Irish consulate in the US also told them there will be no issues. The kids are at an Irish school, registered with a GP, etc. They did fly here for a visit before the move to check out the uni, housing, transport links and school options.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 am

Jordans wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am
A friend of a friend from USA is doing a Masters at UCD. She brought her husband and 3 kids along and all of them were registered at INIS in Dublin without a problem. The university gave them a letter outlining her program, length of study, fees she paid etc mentioning her family coming along. The Irish consulate in the US also told them there will be no issues. The kids are at an Irish school, registered with a GP, etc. They did fly here for a visit before the move to check out the uni, housing, transport links and school options.
I wonder what stamp they got? Or maybe USA and Ireland have some sort of agreement?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 am

This is what the policy says:
Can I bring family members with me?
No. In general students will continue to have no rights to Family Reunification. There are some exceptions to the rule which can be found on page 14 of the attached document - Guidelines for Degree Programme Students.
The document can be found at: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Guidelin ... udents.pdf

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 am
I wonder what stamp they got? Or maybe USA and Ireland have some sort of agreement?
The student got Stamp 2, her partner got 2a, their children didn't get any stamp because they are too young for an IRP card of their own.

Apple1234
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Apple1234 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

Jordans wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am
Thank you for sharing that. When I contacted the University they also stated that spouses and dependents are usually able to get an exemption to stay for the duration of their course. It may require a bit of legwork but I’m willing to give it a try at least.