ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometrics appointment: passport with home office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

The Life of Dee
Australia

Brittish citizinship Registration questions

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:45 am

Hi
I registered as a Brittish citizin using form UKF and I have a few questions.

Will I be assessed under section 4F or 4G? I was born in Australia in 1989 and my parents were never married.

I read that section 4F has no residence requirements or is that for UKF in general? Do the parents of the person applying for descent have to had lived in the UK for 3 years?

My father was born in October 1967 and he moved to Australia in April 1970. This equals approximately 2 years and 7 months, not 3 years.

I am worried because from May 1970 to October 1970 that equals 6 months and it indicates that he didn’t obviously meet the 3 year requirement, even though he was a baby and had no say in the matter lol.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Brittish citizinship Registration questions

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:24 am

Form UKF has no minimum residence requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Ah, I read that section 3 2 and section 4G of the BNA had residence requirements. I thought that UKF was based on those sections as they related to people born outside the UK to a Brittish parent.. I appologise for any confusion but I was worried my father had to have been in the UK for 3 years. Can you please share the info relating to UKF not having any residence requirements?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Page 5 of the guidance notes explains.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t-2019.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:17 pm

All I can find is: • You were born on or after 1 January 1983 and would have become a British citizen automatically had your parents been married at the time of your birth (section 4G of the British Nationality Act 1981),
Section 4G has a 3 year requirement from what I relieve.

My father spent from October 1967 to April 1970 (2 years and 7 months) in the UK. He was in the UK at the start of the 3 year period. He moved to Australia 153 days before the 3 years was up which is inside the 270 day requirement that he should not be outside the UK. I wonder if him moving would be a problem though.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Where did you read it has a 3 year residence requirement, for the British father??

Link to the nationality act 4G below and there is no mention of a 3 year residence period anywhere.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/4G

The link below, as the guidance do, have no mention of this requirement either.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-br ... 3-and-2006

You might be consuming different sections for children under 18, which in some instances does require the residence. Buy as you are over 18, this does not apply to you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Yeah, I read: Section 3(2) of the 1981 Act applies here.  If you were born abroad to a parent who is a British citizen ‘by descent’, then you are not automatically a British citizen.  However, it is possible to apply for the child’s registration if the British parent has resided in the UK for 3 years continuously prior to the child’s birth. The requirements for ‘continuous residence’ is that the parent cannot have been absent from the UK for 270 days or more within the 3 year period. The application must be made prior to the child turning 18 years old. If a child is registered under section 3(2) they will also become a British citizen ‘by descent’.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 pm

The Life of Dee wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm
Yeah, I read: Section 3(2) of the 1981 Act applies here.  If you were born abroad to a parent who is a British citizen ‘by descent’, then you are not automatically a British citizen.  However, it is possible to apply for the child’s registration if the British parent has resided in the UK for 3 years continuously prior to the child’s birth. The requirements for ‘continuous residence’ is that the parent cannot have been absent from the UK for 270 days or more within the 3 year period. The application must be made prior to the child turning 18 years old. If a child is registered under section 3(2) they will also become a British citizen ‘by descent’.
That doesn't apply to you are your father is British otherwise than by descent. Don't read sections that are not relevant to you, it will only confuse you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:33 pm

He is a citizin otherwise then by descent from my understanding as he was born in the UK in October 1967. He moved to Australia in April 1970. He never married my Australian mother and I was born in 1989.

Could you please point out any info relating to the fact that my father didn’t have to meet the residency requirements if he was a citizin otherwise then by descent? I appologise for the questions but I’m concerned now as I have recently submitted the application. I’m guessing I’m applying under section 4F not 4G as 4G seems to pertain to citizins by descent?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Note sure what lore you are expecting as I have provided all the relevant links.

You are overthinking this. There are many routes to citizenship, the majority not relevant to you and you are only confusing yourself. If there is no mention or requirment for a residence period, then it does NOt apply to your circumstances but to other routes for those who are UNDER 18 years of age.

100s have applied for ukf and been successful. Form ukf will make you a British citizen by descent, which is what 4G refers to in your circumstances.

The requirement is that you were born abroad to a British born father who was not married to your mother. That's it!

It is 4G for you as you are an adult. 4 F is for MN1 registration and MN1 is for children under 18.

4g as the legislation link I have already provided.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/4G

The MN1 guidance link I provided also clearly states for ukf it is 4G.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks. I read that adults/children can register using form UKF as the guide said “this guide of for adults or for parents or guardians of a child under 18.” That’s why I was concerned re 4G but as you said thats not relevant to my situation as my fathers a citizin otherwise then by descent.

I’m glad there is no residency requirements.
I sent my birth certificate, my passport and dads birth certificate with the application but I didn’t send his passport as he recently renewed it in 2017 and travels frequently to Vietnam as his wife and my sister have family there so didn’t feel right asking for it. Hopefully the birth certificate will be enough evidence...

The Life of Dee
Australia

Registering for Brittish citizinship without fathers passport

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 am

I applied to register as a Brittish citizin through form UKF. I sent my birth certificate, my passport and my fathers birth certificate with the application to UKVI. I didn’t send his passport as I don’t have it. My father was born in 1967 and I read on this forum that as he was born before 1983 I don’t have to provide his passport as his birth certificate proves citizinship. How do I prove he was a citizin at the time of my birth in 1989?

I’m worried me not sending his passport will affect my application.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Issue with booking biometrics appointment online

Post by The Life of Dee » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:55 am

I applied to register as a Brittish citizin and I’m having trouble booking a biometrics appointment as the sites playing up. I’m in Brisbane Australia. Can I go to the local centre to book my biometrics appointment? If not, how do I do this?

The Life of Dee
Australia

Booking a biometrics appointment

Post by The Life of Dee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am

How do I book a biometrics appointment? I logged into the visa global site and it only had overseas Brittish citizinship and HMPO as an option. I paid 10 pounds (I think that was to track my application) but nothing was mentioned about biometrics. I have my letter so I’m ready for the appointment but I just need to book it.

The Life of Dee
Australia

A few questions about registering as a Brittish citizin

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 pm

I registered as a Brittish citizin using form UKF. I just wanted to clarrify that it doesn’t matter wether I’m over 18 or not (I’m 30) as long as I was born before July 2006 to unmarried parents?

Also, if I get citizinship, do I have to move to the UK straight away? My lease ends in August 2021 so didn’t know if me not moving once I got my passport would be an issue.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: A few questions about registering as a Brittish citizin

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm

british-citizenship/time-limit-to-move- ... l#p1856718
CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:52 am
@ The Life of Dee - The moderators would really appreciate it if you could familiarise yourself with the forum rules, specifically the one relating to Multiple Topics, link below, and keep ALL your questions in ONE thread and kindly refrain from starting a new topic with each question you have!!

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:06 pm

The Life of Dee wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 pm
I registered as a Brittish citizin using form UKF. I just wanted to clarrify that it doesn’t matter wether I’m over 18 or not (I’m 30) as long as I was born before July 2006 to unmarried parents?

Also, if I get citizinship, do I have to move to the UK straight away? My lease ends in August 2021 so didn’t know if me not moving once I got my passport would be an issue.
1. There is NO age limit on form UKF registration.

2. Already answered when you asked previously!! british-citizenship/time-limit-to-move- ... l#p1856717
alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am
There's no rule as to when or if you enter the UK as a British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 pm

I appologise about the multiple topics. The reason why I asked if there was a time limit to me moving to the UK is because I read that EU citizins had to apply for citizinship and move to the UK before 2021 and I read that EU/non EU citizins will be treated the same but I’m guessing this doesn’t apply to me.

If I get citizinship will I be subject to immigration control?

I am guessing it doesn’t matter if I move to the UK in 2 months or 20 years or never if I really wanted to. I was just worried with brexit I’d be questioned or deported as I also am from another country (Australia).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I appologise about the multiple topics. The reason why I asked if there was a time limit to me moving to the UK is because I read that EU citizins had to apply for citizinship and move to the UK before 2021 and I read that EU/non EU citizins will be treated the same but I’m guessing this doesn’t apply to me.
#
That is relevant only to EU (non British) citizens.
If I get citizinship will I be subject to immigration control?
No. British citizens are not subject to immigration control.
I am guessing it doesn’t matter if I move to the UK in 2 months or 20 years or never if I really wanted to. I was just worried with brexit I’d be questioned or deported as I also am from another country (Australia).
Overthinking.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm

So I can move in several years and I won’t be questioned as I haven’t lived in the uk?
From what it sounds like brexit won’t effect me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:43 pm

So I can move in several years and I won’t be questioned as I haven’t lived in the uk?
1. Yes
2. No
From what it sounds like brexit won’t effect me.
Brexit does NOT affect British Citizens living in the UK or those moving to the UK from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Does this affect me if I don’t move to the UK straight away?
“To be a non-don resident in the UK you will typically be a foreign national living in the UK. . While you may be considered a tax resident, your domicile typically remain will as your country of birth. If you are considered as a non-don, you will not be able to live in the UK indeffinately.”
I read that this also applies to Brittish citizins and if I move at the end of 2021 then I’m worried I won’t be able to live in he UK as I’ll be non-dom in Australia from what I understand.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:46 pm

You really are overthinking this completely!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I know I’m over thinking this but its cause I am still trying to understand Brittish law and I’m just trying to make sure I’m abiding by the law of both countries.

“If you don't have foreign income and gains then your domicile status has no bearing on your UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax position and you do not need to consider it.”I’m on Australian bennifits which are not means tested and I don’t pay tax on my bennifits.the thing that concerned me is it said if I was non-domicile I wouldn’t be able to live in the UK indeffinately.

Just not sure how that works if there’s no time limit for me to move to the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:39 pm

.the thing that concerned me is it said if I was non-domicile I wouldn’t be able to live in the UK indeffinately.
It does also say it is for "a foreign national", i.e non British citizen.

You really are confusing and concerning yourself for no reason.
Char (CR001 not Casa)