ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as spouse - timescales

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lavroh
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation as spouse - timescales

Post by lavroh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:36 am

Hello,

A friend has told me a new thing about naturalising as a British citizen - people on spousal dependant visa can get ILR in 3 years - IF their husband is a British citizen.

Is this correct?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation as spouse - timescales

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Maybe friend is mixing up ILR with naturalisation?
You need ILR to apply for naturalisation and if married to BC you can apply straight after gaining ILR, if you satisfy all the requirements, including a three year residency before the application. ILR requirements are separate of course.
See page 5 of the guidance issued for naturalisation:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 pm

lavroh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:36 am
Hello,

A friend has told me a new thing about naturalising as a British citizen - people on spousal dependant visa can get ILR in 3 years - IF their husband is a British citizen.

Is this correct?
ILR requires a mandatory 5 years residence before you can apply. This has been the case since 9th July 2012. Nothing has changed or is 'new'.

The 3 year requirement for British citizenship is completely separate and independent to the ILR 5 year requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

crispy

Post by crispy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:19 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 pm
You need ILR to apply for naturalisation and if married to BC you can apply straight after gaining ILR, if you satisfy all the requirements, including a three year residency before the application. ILR requirements are separate of course.
Just so I understand this correctly, a person married to a BC can apply for citizenship on the very day after their ILR comes in?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 pm

crispy wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:19 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 pm
Just so I understand this correctly, a person married to a BC can apply for citizenship on the very day after their ILR comes in?
Yes, once they have their BRP card AND they meet all the 3 years requirements to apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

crispy

Post by crispy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:31 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 pm
Yes, once they have their BRP card AND they meet all the 3 years requirements to apply.
Thank you again, CR001.

It would make sense for someone wanting to get citizenship as quickly as possible (so that the years of existential anxiety can end) to start collecting documents, completing forms, and studying for/passing the Life in the UK test before their ILR is granted then. Just to put in the groundwork so that the application for citizenship can be triggered as soon as the BRP card arrives. :D