ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Charles Isaac
Newly Registered

UK Naturalization

Post by Charles Isaac » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:41 am

Hello there,
I hope you will be able to advise on my case.
I came to The UK 11 years ago on a Student visa. Three years later I seeked asylum while in the UK due to change of circumstances and this was allowed in 2012.I was granted 5 years refugee status. I applied for an ILR in 2017 and it was also granted. However, I February 2019 I went to court and was given 6 points on my driving licence and fined £420.00 due to not having provided the information of the person driving my car at the time of the offence which was speeding. ( my friend was driving at 54 miles an hour in a 40 miles an hour zone.)
What happened is that a friend of mine was driving my car at a high speed and got caught by the camera.He told me to pass him the Notice He would fill his details in and send it back which I did because I had trusted him. However, He filled the notice with the wrong details and the driver never existed.The Police traced the address and the person has never been known to the address.

I explained all this to the Joge, but She said I was being charged because I did not fill the notice myself.
I did plead no guilty.
Now, would this affect my Citizenship application as I have never been involved in any kind of fraud, violence or sexual abuse. I aso have never driven a car without insurance. My DBS is clear.
I also have to point out that my wife and my two kids are all British Citizenz.
Your answer will be helpfull.
Kind regards

vinny

Re: UK Naturalization

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:04 am

If it’s counted as a conviction, then it may affect your Good Character.

Hope that you can find better friends?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:43 am

I explained all this to the Joge, but She said I was being charged because I did not fill the notice myself. I did plead no guilty.
You pleaded not guilty but seems you were found guilty nonetheless. Unless your friend had come clean and took the blame in court it is impossible to prove that it wasn't you driving and just made up a non existent person and address. Hence the judge's call. It'll be the same with the Home office. Your family's status of British citizens won't make a difference. Your best bet is to wait until 3 years after conviction to apply for citizenship. Any earlier than that you're more than likely to be refused.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:03 am

3 year wait from the date of conviction. As Vinny says, time to ditch that so-called friend.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Charles Isaac
Newly Registered

Post by Charles Isaac » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks very much for your replies. The Judge agreed to the fact that it wasn't me driving because the police provided a clear picture of the driver and it shows clearly that it is not me. As I have said it, I was convicted on the basis that I passed the notice to someone else to fill it in.
Anyways, I'll wait until the conviction is cleared.
once more thanks very much for your advice.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:48 am

Charles Isaac wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:22 am
Thanks very much for your replies. The Judge agreed to the fact that it wasn't me driving because the police provided a clear picture of the driver and it shows clearly that it is not me. As I have said it, I was convicted on the basis that I passed the notice to someone else to fill it in.
Anyways, I'll wait until the conviction is cleared.
once more thanks very much for your advice.
out of interest, did you provide the identity of your friend to the Police? or did you just absorb all the fault and your friend walked away free?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.