ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Set(O) Proof of Cohabitation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alixedi
Newly Registered
Pakistan

ILR Set(O) Proof of Cohabitation

Post by alixedi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Hello,

I got my ILR in September 2018 through Tier-1 (Exceptional Talent) visa. Now, my wife and kids have the requisite 5 years stay in the UK to qualify for an ILR as well. The last leave that was granted to them was as Tier-1 Dependents in May 2018.

I have filled the online Set(O) forms for the three of them. When we completed the applications, we got the following list of documents that we are required to submit:

* Mandatory documents
Passports for my wife and kids

* Other documents
Previous passports for wife and kids
The language test certificate for my wife
Evidence of my wife's immigration status in the UK
Declaration signed by me to confirm consent for the Home Office to request verification checks
Current Biometric Residence Permit for my wife

Luckily I googled for the documents that other people submitted for Set(O) applications and there is something - seemingly very important - that keeps coming up: Proof of Cohabitation.

I am really confused as to why this - given its importance - is not listed in the lists of mandatory or other documents that we are supposed to provide. Is this because it is no longer required?

If this is not the case and I have to provide proof of cohabitation, can someone please point me to an official document that lays out the requirements that I need to fulfill? Google is coming up blank on this!

I would really appreciate any help on this, especially from someone who has perhaps gone through this experience recently. Thank you very much 🙏

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Set(O) Proof of Cohabitation

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:44 pm

The online checklist is generic and not accurate for every application.

You should follow the immigration rules and guidance notes, which states evidence of subsisting relationship (cohabitation) for the most recent 2 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alixedi
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by alixedi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:41 am

Thank you for your reply. Can you please share a link to the immigration guidelines and the title of the relevant section that I should read?

adithi10
Mood:

Post by adithi10 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:13 pm

I am currently doing my set O and we got this list under documents, hope this helps

The passport or travel document for Mrs xxxx
The passport issued to Mr xxxx
Other documents
If you have added a spouse or civil partner to this application form who is applying at the same time as you, please provide documentary evidence of cohabitation since you were last granted leave (up to a maximum of two years). Evidence provided should cover the whole period and be in the form of official letters or documents, addressed to yourself and your spouse.
Other evidence of Mr xxxx's reasons for absences from the UK
All previous passports, travel documents or national identity cards that Mrs xxxxxx has used to travel to or remain in the UK
Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for work-related absences including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and Crown Dependencies for Mr xxxxx
The degree certificate for Mr xxxxx to prove the level of English language required
The degree certificate for Mrs xxxxx to prove the level of English language required
Evidence of Mr xxxx's immigration status in the UK
Declaration signed by Mr xxxx to confirm consent for the Home Office to request verification checks
Your most recent payslip and bank or building society statement. These must be dated no earlier than one calendar month before the date of the application. The statement must show the payment, as shown on the payslip. You should not provide any additional payslips or statements, unless you are currently on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave.
If you are currently on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, you should provide the last payslip and bank or building society statement you received prior to the start of your leave. The statement must show the payment, as shown on the payslip. You must also provide payslips and bank or building society statements during the period of maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave. The last payslip and statement must be dated no earlier than one calendar month before the date of the application.
A document from the sponsor who issued the certificate of sponsorship that led to your last permission to stay as a Tier 2 migrant confirming that you are:
still required for the employment in question for the foreseeable future, and in the case of Tier 2 (General), Tier 2 (Sports Person) and Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer) migrants this document should also contain:
the nearest applicable SOC code which best describes your employment
your current rate of pay (this should be given in the same format as given in the codes of practice, for example hourly rate or yearly salary), and
confirmation that this is at or above the appropriate rate for the job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 sponsors. (See note 8 below)
if you are currently on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, confirmation of the date this started, your salary immediately before the leave, and what your salary will be on your return.
NARIC letter that confirms the qualification meets or exceeds the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Masters degree or PhD in the UK AND confirm the level of English to which the degree was taught or researched
Current Biometric Residence Permit for Mr xxxxx
All previous passports, travel documents or national identity cards that you have used to travel to or remain in the UK

Regards,
Adithi.

alixedi
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by alixedi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank you for sharing this.

It seems that if you apply for the ILR at the same time i.e. the main applicant as well as the family, they explicitly ask for proof of cohabitation.

In our case, it seems that because I already have an ILR and only dependents are applying now, they are not being asked to provide proof of cohabitation.

I think I will include it in my application anyway because I want to play safe on this.

dk_kk
Newly Registered

Post by dk_kk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm

alixedi wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Hello,

I got my ILR in September 2018 through Tier-1 (Exceptional Talent) visa. Now, my wife and kids have the requisite 5 years stay in the UK to qualify for an ILR as well. The last leave that was granted to them was as Tier-1 Dependents in May 2018.

I have filled the online Set(O) forms for the three of them. When we completed the applications, we got the following list of documents that we are required to submit:

* Mandatory documents

* Other documents
Declaration signed by me to confirm consent for the Home Office to request verification checks

Luckily I googled for the documents that other people submitted for Set(O) applications and there is something - seemingly very important - that keeps coming up: Proof of Cohabitation.

I am really confused as to why this - given its importance - is not listed in the lists of mandatory or other documents that we are supposed to provide. Is this because it is no longer required?

If this is not the case and I have to provide proof of cohabitation, can someone please point me to an official document that lays out the requirements that I need to fulfill? Google is coming up blank on this!

I would really appreciate any help on this, especially from someone who has perhaps gone through this experience recently. Thank you very much 🙏
Hi alixedi

I am also applying SET(O) for my Mrs currently holding PBS dependent for 5 years(Tier1 general).
What document are you providing to show proof for the language?
all our previous extension applications we were just using non-uk degree certificate taught in english.
as I am bit confused could you please elaborate is it just Degree certificate or NARIC equivalent or SELT?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:34 pm

dk_kk wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm
alixedi wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Hello,

* Mandatory documents

* Other documents

Hi alixedi

I am also applying SET(O) for my Mrs currently holding PBS dependent for 5 years(Tier1 general).
What document are you providing to show proof for the language?
all our previous extension applications we were just using non-uk degree certificate taught in english.
as I am bit confused could you please elaborate is it just Degree certificate or NARIC equivalent or SELT?
Useful to start your own topic with your questions.

You need NARIC ELA and Comparable assessment for a foreign degree OR the B1 SELT test. Tier 1 General Dependants have NOT been required to meet the English language requirement at all for the dependent visas. ILR is the first time they have to meet the requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.