ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship refusal

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SouthAfricanNomad
Mood:
South Africa

Citizenship refusal

Post by SouthAfricanNomad » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am

Hi all.

I’m curious if anyone has ever heard for someone being refused on the basis of late tax returns? And if so, what was the background and conclusion of the matter?

And at which stage do refusals often occur. Have they ever occurred after advanced stage?

Thank you in advance

SouthAfricanNomad
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship refusal

Post by SouthAfricanNomad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

No venture for an educated / anecdotal guess?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm

And at which stage do refusals often occur. Have they ever occurred after advanced stage?
There is no early or late stage really. It's a one step process. You apply and they respond yes or no.

If you had a single late return and sorted it with HRMC, that shouldn't affect your application. I have seen cases of people approved despite an instance of a late return. It even happened to me. I was managing a small not very active LTD and forgot to send the return. I received a firm reminder with £150 fine. I immediately paid the fine, sent a return then closed the LTD. It didn't affect my citizenship application.

However, if you have outstanding issues with HMRC or have a history of issues with them, this can play a negative role on your application as it goes against the "good character requirements".

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
There is no early or late stage really. It's a one step process. You apply and they respond yes or no.

If you had a single late return and sorted it with HRMC, that shouldn't affect your application. I have seen cases of people approved despite an instance of a late return. It even happened to me. I was managing a small not very active LTD and forgot to send the return. I received a firm reminder with £150 fine. I immediately paid the fine, sent a return then closed the LTD. It didn't affect my citizenship application.

However, if you have outstanding issues with HMRC or have a history of issues with them, this can play a negative role on your application as it goes against the "good character requirements".
This topic is in the Ireland sub forum for Irish naturalisation, not sure if your advice is based on British citizenship by naturalisation, which obvs doesn't apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:10 pm

This topic is in the Ireland sub forum for Irish naturalisation, not sure if your advice is based on British citizenship by naturalisation, which obvs doesn't apply.
Ouops, sorry for that. My advice is based on British Citizenship. It doesn't stand for Irish citizenship.

SouthAfricanNomad
Mood:
South Africa

Post by SouthAfricanNomad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:10 pm
Ouops, sorry for that. My advice is based on British Citizenship. It doesn't stand for Irish citizenship.
Thank you anyway :)