ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Brexit immigration out of UK and back to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

badhodor
Mood:
India

Post Brexit immigration out of UK and back to UK

Post by badhodor » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 am

Hi,

Here's the situation. Currently I am ILR holder, just applied for my naturalisation today and will subsequently be getting a British Passport (fingers crossed). Have a kid who is british citizen by birth (through me) already got the passport.

Wife is currently EU citizen (Latvian) and has pre-settled status.

In post-brexit situation, should we decide to move out of the UK and go to some other country without wife's naturalisation/British passport and only the EU passport, we should be fine moving to another EU country.

Here's the question, should we decide to move back to UK, me and my kid will be allowed but would my wife be allowed back into UK? (She will have settled status by then but no ILR, no naturalisation and not british citizen). Would she be treated the same way as a non-EEA, non-eu citizen even though she is married to a british citizen, has a british kid and has settled status and property, bank account etc. in her name in the UK?

secret.simon

Re: Post Brexit immigration out of UK and back to UK

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:33 am

Settled status allows for absences of up to five years at a time.

So, provided that your wife has settled status and provided the absence is not longer than five years, she will be allowed back in.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: Post Brexit immigration out of UK and back to UK

Post by Richard W » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:33 am
Settled status allows for absences of up to five years at a time.

So, provided that your wife has settled status and provided the absence is not longer than five years, she will be allowed back in.
And, unlike normal ILR, visits to the UK restart the 5 year clock - at least, according to the Withdrawal Agreement. Incidentally, settled status under the EU settlement scheme is a privileged form of ILR, though not as privileged as what British nationals who are not British citizens may have.