ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application procedure

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fatguyslim

OCI application procedure

Post by fatguyslim » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Hey everyone, I recently recieved the good news about my naturalisation after being in the country for over 13 years. I am an Indian national and looking for some advice from other Indians regarding OCI application. I am hoping to apply for my OCI after my ceremony on 28th of January, but I am unsure if that is the correct procedure? Do I have to wait till I get my British Passport to apply for OCI or can I apply for it as soon as I get the citizenship certificate? Also do I have hand in my Indian Passport now or am I suppose to wait until I have the citizenship certificate?

My plan is to apply for British Passport and the OCI on the same day I recieve the citizenship certificate. The next day I will send back the BRP to the home office and Indian passports (both expired and current) to Indian High Commission. Please let me know if this is the correct procedure or am I missing something?

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Re: OCI application procedure

Post by apatiluk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm

The procedure would be
0. Get the British passport first
1. Submit your Indian passports and get a surrender certificate ( it might take a week or two )
2. After getting the surrender certificate apply for OCI (it might take a week or two )

Details are clearly mentioned in the below link to obtain a surrender certificate and OCI.
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.html
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html

fatguyslim

Post by fatguyslim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 am

apatiluk wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm
The procedure would be
0. Get the British passport first
1. Submit your Indian passports and get a surrender certificate ( it might take a week or two )
2. After getting the surrender certificate apply for OCI (it might take a week or two )

Details are clearly mentioned in the below link to obtain a surrender certificate and OCI.
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.html
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html
I don't get it though, why do I need to get the British Passport first? Can I not surrender Indian Passport as soon as I get citizenship certificate?

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Post by apatiluk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm

To obtain a surrender certificate:
One needs to give VFS a copy of British Passport ( or Ref number if in process ) and copy of Naturalisation or Registration Certificate photo copy whichever applies for the applicant ( and whichever exists the Originals will have to be shown to the VFS ) . To get your British passport you would need to send your Naturalisation certificate in original, hence i am not sure whether VFS would accept the photocopy of naturalisation certificate without seeing the original.

Hence, that was the order. I am not sure if they can be applied in parallel. I have obtained those certificates, passports , oci in the above mentioned order. Other members might share their experiences.

To obtain the OCI:
British passport is required to get your OCI . The VFS would need your surrender certificate and British Passport in original and photocopy , they will retain the original and post(DX courier) it back to you within a week. The OCI card would be sent after 2 to 3 weeks. There will be two posts to your address.

fatguyslim

Post by fatguyslim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:36 pm

apatiluk wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm
To obtain a surrender certificate:
One needs to give VFS a copy of British Passport ( or Ref number if in process ) and copy of Naturalisation or Registration Certificate photo copy whichever applies for the applicant ( and whichever exists the Originals will have to be shown to the VFS ) . To get your British passport you would need to send your Naturalisation certificate in original, hence i am not sure whether VFS would accept the photocopy of naturalisation certificate without seeing the original.

Hence, that was the order. I am not sure if they can be applied in parallel. I have obtained those certificates, passports , oci in the above mentioned order. Other members might share their experiences.

To obtain the OCI:
British passport is required to get your OCI . The VFS would need your surrender certificate and British Passport in original and photocopy , they will retain the original and post(DX courier) it back to you within a week. The OCI card would be sent after 2 to 3 weeks. There will be two posts to your address.
Got it. Thanks for the detailed answer mate.