ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! I got a girl pregnant in Madagascar.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TCB786
Newly Registered

Help! I got a girl pregnant in Madagascar.

Post by TCB786 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 am

I am a univerity student aged 20 and recently took part in a volunteering program during the winter break, in Madagascar. I met a girl on this trip who has recently contacted me informing me that she is pregnant, depsite our precautions. Abortion is illegal in the country and against our moral principles. Obviously I intend to get it DNA tested to verify that it is mine, but I believe she is being truthful as she had definately not had sex with anyone before me and has had little time to do it with anyone else since.

This places me in an akward position and I want to do the best thing. Marriage is not something that I desire and I can't get her a partner visa as we have not been together two years and she is only 17. I thought perhaps I could take the baby back to the UK and then she could apply later as a parent, but it is unlikely that she can meet the language requirements or support herself financially. As a student i'm unable to do this either. I'm not sure whether my parents could assist, however I'd rather avoid telling them for as long as possible.

I thought maybe she could get to the UK on exceptional circumstances under Article 8 ECHR, but this seems stringent. Otherwise this only leaves me sending money back, however I'm concerned for the welfare of the baby under this scenario both as a result of relative poverty and the fact that i'm white and she is fair skinned for her nationality which means that our baby will stand out.

Any ideas?

UtterlyBrilliant
San Marino

Re: Help! I got a girl pregnant in Madagascar.

Post by UtterlyBrilliant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 am

I'm not sure that marriage not being something you "desire" is going to cut it, especially given you also talk of your "moral principles".

She may be unlikely to pass the IELTS test yet, but she can learn.

Given it sounds like you're unemployed from your post, your parents are probably the most likely to be able to help financially. I can see how it's hard to come clean to them, but at the centre of this is an innocent baby who did not ask to be part of this. You need to be responsible for its sake.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am

TCB786 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 am
I thought maybe she could get to the UK on exceptional circumstances under Article 8 ECHR, but this seems stringent.
There are a variety of options where exceptional circumstances apply, some will likely require getting the child to the UK first (you didn't mention your citizenship and I'm not entirely clear how British citizenship is passed along, so I'll leave that to you to figure out). Please see the immigration rules for family members and guidance document linked below for some research on whether you can put together a case for bringing the child's mother to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am

Note that DNA test is required to prove paternity before the child could potentially get a British passport. Both parents names are required on the birth certificate too.

Note also, that many of these poor countries have people who will do absolutely anything to get to USA/UK/EU/Aus/NZ etc. Be mindful of that.

You also cannot sponsor a 'partner' who is under 18 years of age.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am
Note also, that many of these poor countries have people who will do absolutely anything to get to USA/UK/EU/Aus/NZ etc. Be mindful of that.
The above may be taken by many to be very very patronising, at best. At worst, something else.

The OP hasn't indicated or inferred they were coerced into the situation. They may well have initiated it.

The OP seem to be seeking to take some responsibility for their own actions and not blaming, or seeking to blame the other party. However, I'm sure they will take into consideration what you've said.

Only if those "people" can know what's in store for them in those countries.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."