ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application with different passport than for life in the UK test - is this a problem?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Application with different passport than for life in the UK test - is this a problem?

Post by viv197 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi All,

I am an EU citizen with ILR since April 2019. Will apply for citizenship in April 2020 (ILR + 12 months).
I passed both tests (Life in the UK and english) with my old passport which I have lost. I have since a new passport.

I have read somewhere that the passport should be the same as the one for the Life in the UK test. Is this definitely a hard line and does this mean that I have to retake the Life in the UK test?

Many Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Application with different passport than for life in the UK test - is this a problem?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Use your current valid passport for your application - it's not an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Settled Status + 12 months but online form now requires Permanent Residency Card?

Post by viv197 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi All!

My situation:

- EU citizen.
- Applied for settled status using the government smartphone app.
- Received an online letter confirming I was granted settled status, with access to a portal to prove this online.
- Have had the settled status for 12 months + now.

I am about to apply for British Citizenship however the official website says "You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a Permanent residence card: https://www.gov.uk/permanent-residence-document-eu-eea"

1. I am confused, do I need to apply for a permanent residence card before applying for BC after all?
Or is a copy of the letter confirming Settled Status sufficient?

2. My settled status is attached to an old passport which has expired. I now have a new passport but it seems I cannot update the document details because passport has to be sent to Home Office and they don't receive documents because of COVID? any advice on this one?

Cheers!

zimba
Mood:

Re: Settled Status + 12 months but online form now requires Permanent Residency Card?

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 pm

viv197 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:56 pm
Hi All!

My situation:

- EU citizen.
- Applied for settled status using the government smartphone app.
- Received an online letter confirming I was granted settled status, with access to a portal to prove this online.
- Have had the settled status for 12 months + now.

I am about to apply for British Citizenship however the official website says "You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a Permanent residence card: https://www.gov.uk/permanent-residence-document-eu-eea"

1. I am confused, do I need to apply for a permanent residence card before applying for BC after all?
Or is a copy of the letter confirming Settled Status sufficient?

2. My settled status is attached to an old passport which has expired. I now have a new passport but it seems I cannot update the document details because passport has to be sent to Home Office and they don't receive documents because of COVID? any advice on this one?

Cheers!
Settled status is acceptable. You do NOT need a valid passport to apply
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Re: Application with different passport than for life in the UK test - is this a problem?

Post by viv197 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi Zimba, thanks for the merge and the quick response.

1. Does that mean that I do not need a permanent residence card and the information on the online form is wrong?

2. I am confused, the online form says that I need to provide the original of my passeport? Also If I use settled status and settled status is linked to my old passeport? is this not a problem?

Just checking I am ready to submit rather than try my luck and lose the 1300 GBP :shock: :lol:

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:39 pm

1. Does that mean that I do not need a permanent residence card and the information on the online form is wrong?
You have Settled Status, so PR card is not required - you need to select the correct option in the application.
2. I am confused, the online form says that I need to provide the original of my passeport? Also If I use settled status and settled status is linked to my old passeport? is this not a problem?
You load a scan of your passport - you show your passport as ID when you go to the biometrics appointment (subject to Covid delays!). There is no issue with your settled status & expired passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Post by viv197 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks Alterhase58!
You have Settled Status, so PR card is not required - you need to select the correct option in the application.
When asked "Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card"

I said "Yes" then:

"What will you use to apply for British citizenship? (Required)
- Permanent residence card or document
- Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), including ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme"

I selected ILR and input the date when ILR was granted.

However there is still a message at the end saying "You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship".

Therefore if the permanent residence card is not required, what is my "Evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions"?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Under EU settlement scheme you are granted ILR under UK immigration rules. The letter you got is the evidence of your ILR under the rules and therefore evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions :!: :!: This is now repeated several times
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

viv197
Newly Registered
France

[Merged] Absences from UK after application

Post by viv197 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi All,

If I apply now online, pay the fee and submit my documents electronically (but would not be able to have the biometric appointment yet due to COVID), and if I leave the country for 2 to 3 months to work from my parents place abroad (again due to COVID we are working from home in my company), would I be in trouble regarding absences? Or does the absences from UK stop to be counted once the application is made?

Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Or does the absences from UK stop to be counted once the application is made?
YES - once you have submitted/paid online that is the application date - you are free to travel after that - the biometrics appointment is not relevant in this context - of course you still need to do the biometrics.