ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settled Status to Citizenship for Non EU family member

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kiron1212

EU Settled Status to Citizenship for Non EU family member

Post by kiron1212 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

I have got EU Settled status as a non eu family member last month. My father is the EU citizen. I want to move out from my parents home and live elsewhere in the UK independently, Will this affect my citizenship application?

kiron1212

Re: EU Settled Status to Citizenship for Non EU family member

Post by kiron1212 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Found my answer. No problem with moving out after getting settled status.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm

It will however affect the ability to sponsor your husband on the EEA/EU route if not living with an EU sponsor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kiron1212

Post by kiron1212 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm
It will however affect the ability to sponsor your husband on the EEA/EU route if not living with an EU sponsor.
Thank you for your reply. Yes that is correct. After checking the EEA EFM guideline, I have found out my EU father can not sponsor my husband as an Extended family member, because my husband never lived with us in my home country or any other country. I met him in the UK and he has been livingh with us last 2 months. So, in order to sponsor him, I must rely on spouse visa route. But believe it or not, home office advisor said he can not rely on spouse visa either because I got my settled status as an EU family member. I personally do not think the advisor is correct. As a person with settled status (ILR) I should be able to sponsor my husband for spouse visa. When I challenged the advisor he got frustrated and asked me to contact independent solicitor.

The situation is so frustrating and confusing, I feel like crying.

Arun0555
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Arun0555 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi,I am also in same situation.do you have any update on this?
Thanks,
Arun

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 pm

kiron1212 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm
But believe it or not, home office advisor said he can not rely on spouse visa either because I got my settled status as an EU family member. I personally do not think the advisor is correct. As a person with settled status (ILR) I should be able to sponsor my husband for spouse visa. When I challenged the advisor he got frustrated and asked me to contact independent solicitor.
Home Office advice lines are not to be trusted - they're probably worse than solicitors.

Unless the law has changed recently in this regard, settled status is a privileged form of ILR, so it enables your spouse to apply for a spouse visa, and get it if you can demonstrate you meet the requirements, including the financial requirements. I suspect the advisor was correctly thinking that you did not have the privileges that EEA citizens get from permanent residence; in this case, they're not much greater than those they get from being a qualified person.