ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Polish spelling of name with diacritical marks problem

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

applicant90
Newly Registered
Poland

Polish spelling of name with diacritical marks problem

Post by applicant90 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:11 am

Hi team, I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to handle the spelling of my name in my British citizenship application.

My Polish surname includes the non-English character "Kwaśniewska" - that is the spelling in my Polish passport and EU id card. However, due to IT considerations for all official British systems, I have been using "Kwasniewska" in all my official documentation.

My question is: When applying for British citizenship, which spelling shall I use in the form?

(I understand I have to explain the discrepancy, if any, in the cover letter).

An extra consideration is that I would like to apply for British passport later this year and according to their guidance, they will not print any diacritical characters in it. Does this mean I should apply under "Kwasniewska" as opposed to "Kwaśniewska"? I do not wish to change the spelling on my Polish documents.

Clarification on this would be much appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Polish spelling of name with diacritical marks problem

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:57 pm

Just use "Kwasniewska" in your application, and also for the passport when the time comes. HMPO would change the spelling anyway, to the nearest letter.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

castorp
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by castorp » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 am

I dropped my diacritic for my EU settled application and it was not a problem at all. I would assume it will not be for the citizenship purposes either.

adma
Newly Registered

Post by adma » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 pm

I didn't use diacritical marks whatsoever in my BC application, and I didn't need to explain anything further as this is how I always used my surname in the UK so continue with the spelling how they know you in the UK :)

applicant90
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by applicant90 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Great, thank you! I shall proceed with the application without the diacritical mark :) Cheers, all!

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Same as me I have an apostrophe, which is an accent, at the end of my name but usually IT systems allows it, some not. Hopefully they are tolerant for those things

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:59 pm

There is actually an internationally accepted approach on the treatment of special letters in travel documents, such as accents, circumflex, umlaut, etc. which is applied by HMPO - googled this once but can't find the link now. Basically, say you have the umlaut letter "ü" in your name HMPO would use the nearest logical letter, in this case "u". It's not something you need to request.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.