ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lunallena
Mood:

When to apply for settled status?

Post by lunallena » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 am

Dear all,

I came to the UK as a student (Tier4 visa) on September 2010. In 2016 I switched my student visa for a work visa (Tier2) and then switched to a RC as the extended family member of a EEA citizen on August 2017 (I applied when my Tier2 was still valid, having a six-month overlap with the two). I applied for pre-settled status last year, which was granted on February 2019.

I know that the EEA RC will not be valid after December 2020 and I assume this document will be replaced with something else, as the settled status is linked to the biometric card and not to the passport as with EEA citizens. My question is: when can I apply for settled status? I have been an extended family member since August 2017 so I would assume I can apply in August 2022. But as my RC won't be valid after 2020, will they ignore this date and I would have to apply in February 2024?

Thank you!

kamoe

Re: When to apply for settled status?

Post by kamoe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:29 am

lunallena wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 am
I came to the UK as a student (Tier4 visa) on September 2010. In 2016 I switched my student visa for a work visa (Tier2) and then switched to a RC as the extended family member of a EEA citizen on August 2017 (I applied when my Tier2 was still valid, having a six-month overlap with the two). I applied for pre-settled status last year, which was granted on February 2019.
Pretty much my same immigration history, give or take a year!
I know that the EEA RC will not be valid after December 2020 and I assume this document will be replaced with something else, as the settled status is linked to the biometric card and not to the passport as with EEA citizens. My question is: when can I apply for settled status? I have been an extended family member since August 2017 so I would assume I can apply in August 2022. But as my RC won't be valid after 2020, will they ignore this date and I would have to apply in February 2024?
Your are mixing two or three separate and independent questions into one.

On one hand, there is the question of when you are eligible for Settled Status, which is in principle an electronic status (special provisions are in place for non-EU family members of EU citizens, but that is a separate issue). The answer to that, as you correctly assume, is August 2022.

On the other hand is the question of whether you need to replace your BRC card after December 2020. The answer to that is that since you have Pre-Settled status, you could in theory stay legally in the UK without a physical card after December 2020, BUT... if you do that, you might experience some difficulty in proving your right to live and work in the UK, or show potential landlords they can let to you; and definitely you will find it challenging to re enter the UK after travel abroad. This might or might not be relevant or important to you.

So following from the above, and if you find that not having a physical card is an issue for you, there is the third question of how to procure yourself a physical card that is valid after December 2020, and before you are eligible for Settled Status. The answer to that is that there is a conversion service exactly designed for people wanting to covert their EEA BRC into a EUSS BRC. See this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

lunallena
Mood:

Post by lunallena » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm

kamoe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:29 am
lunallena wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 am
Pretty much my same immigration history, give or take a year!
Your are mixing two or three separate and independent questions into one.

On one hand, there is the question of when you are eligible for Settled Status, which is in principle an electronic status (special provisions are in place for non-EU family members of EU citizens, but that is a separate issue). The answer to that, as you correctly assume, is August 2022.

On the other hand is the question of whether you need to replace your BRC card after December 2020. The answer to that is that since you have Pre-Settled status, you could in theory stay legally in the UK without a physical card after December 2020, BUT... if you do that, you might experience some difficulty in proving your right to live and work in the UK, or show potential landlords they can let to you; and definitely you will find it challenging to re enter the UK after travel abroad. This might or might not be relevant or important to you.

So following from the above, and if you find that not having a physical card is an issue for you, there is the third question of how to procure yourself a physical card that is valid after December 2020, and before you are eligible for Settled Status. The answer to that is that there is a conversion service exactly designed for people wanting to covert their EEA BRC into a EU Settlement Scheme BRC. See this post.
Thank you Kamoe!

You mentioned your situation is similar to mine, do you also have pre-settled status? If so, have you converted your EEA BRC to the EU settlement scheme BRC? I checked the link you provided but most of the people there already have settled status so I am wondering if the same applies to people with pre-settled status.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:27 pm

If you follow the link to the service, and click on "Update or replace your biometric residence card (BRC)", you will find that you can apply if:
Update, replace or transfer your biometric residence card (BRC)
You can use this form to get a biometric residence card (BRC) if you are in the UK, you have been granted leave under the EU Settlement Scheme and if:
  • your BRC is lost, stolen or damaged
  • you have changed your name, nationality, facial appearance, date of birth, or gender
  • you want to upgrade your BRC issued under the EEA regulations to a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • you want to change from a pre-settled status BRC to a settled status BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme (you can only do this if you have been granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme)
I believe it is safe to interpret that you only need to meet one of the conditions, not all! :)

Since you have Pre-Settled status you meet the conditions of bullet point 3 (both Pre-Settled and Settled Status are "leave under the EU Settlement Scheme")

I also have Pre-Settled Status, but I am not planning to convert my card since I will be eligible for Settled Status on 1st February 2021. That means I will only need to stay cardless for a month, and I could easily plan to stay in the UK for the month of January 2021 without traveling abroad. Then I'd apply for Settled Status, and a new card, come february 1st. That being said, I'm closely following any developments to see if it it is likely I encounter anny issues if I do that, and if it makes sense or not to obtain a Pre-Settlement card before that. So far, I do not see any strong reason.

Good luck!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.