ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) Investment query - Licensing fee

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

c781
Newly Registered

TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) Investment query - Licensing fee

Post by c781 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a long time and it is great to see everyone sharing their experiences and honest opinion to help each other. Likewise, I hope someone would be able to advise on my query please.

I am T1 (Entrepreneur) £50K route. I wanted to know what is considered as an "investment"?
For example, is licensing fee considered as an investment? If I am not wrong, licensing fee is different
from franchising fee.

I would really appreciate if someone could share their thoughts please.

Thanks

marcnath

Re: TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) Investment query - Licensing fee

Post by marcnath » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm

c781 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a long time and it is great to see everyone sharing their experiences and honest opinion to help each other. Likewise, I hope someone would be able to advise on my query please.

I am T1 (Entrepreneur) £50K route. I wanted to know what is considered as an "investment"?
For example, is licensing fee considered as an investment? If I am not wrong, licensing fee is different
from franchising fee.

I would really appreciate if someone could share their thoughts please.

Thanks
As long as it is not money going to a previous owner, it should be fine
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

c781
Newly Registered

Post by c781 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi Marcnath,

Thanks for the prompt reply. If that is the case, how about the franchisee fee? is it considered an investment as it is not going to the owner as well.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:05 pm

c781 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm
Hi Marcnath,

Thanks for the prompt reply. If that is the case, how about the franchisee fee? is it considered an investment as it is not going to the owner as well.
Should be the same though I have seen some posts saying otherwise. There may be a small logic where HO defines the Franchisor as the owner.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

c781
Newly Registered

Post by c781 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks Marcnath.

May I know who would be able to advise on this matter accurately?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:47 am

c781 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Thanks Marcnath.

Unfortunately, not many.

The immigration rules and guidance documents do not specify this. Normally that means you have the ability to argue it to your advantage.

You can try going to an established solicitor - they may know if there have been any previous cases where this has been discussed in the court and if not, whether it can be successful if it ever goes to court.

If it was me, I would have gone ahead and treated it as a valid business expense and so justified but it is entirely up to you.

c781
Newly Registered

Post by c781 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm

marcnath wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:47 am
c781 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Thanks Marcnath.

Unfortunately, not many.

The immigration rules and guidance documents do not specify this. Normally that means you have the ability to argue it to your advantage.

You can try going to an established solicitor - they may know if there have been any previous cases where this has been discussed in the court and if not, whether it can be successful if it ever goes to court.

If it was me, I would have gone ahead and treated it as a valid business expense and so justified but it is entirely up to you.