ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation EU child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Watandar
Netherlands

Naturalisation EU child

Post by Watandar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 pm

Dear members,

My son is a Dutch national. He is almost 6 years old (May). He was born in the UK.

I want to apply for naturalisation so he can become a UK national as well. I have below questions:

Can I already apply for naturalisation or do I have to wait till May 2020 when he turns 6 years old?

Do I have to apply for settled status first for him before I can apply for naturalisation?

AnotherUUID

Re: Naturalisation EU child

Post by AnotherUUID » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm

What is yours and your partner's immigration status?

If either parent was settled at the time he was born, then your son is automatically British from birth and you can apply directly for his passport.

If neither parent was settled at the time he was born but one (or both) has since acquired settled status, then your son can be registered as a British citizen straight away using form MN1 - there's no need to wait for him to turn 6 or any other age.

Watandar
Netherlands

Post by Watandar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm

I, EU national came to the UK in 2012. My wife joined me in the UK in 2013 as family member of an EU national.

Our son was born in 2014.

I do not think my son is entitled to British citizenship from birth. Is that correct?

AnotherUUID wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm
What is yours and your partner's immigration status?

If either parent was settled at the time he was born, then your son is automatically British from birth and you can apply directly for his passport.

If neither parent was settled at the time he was born but one (or both) has since acquired settled status, then your son can be registered as a British citizen straight away using form MN1 - there's no need to wait for him to turn 6 or any other age.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Watandar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm
I do not think my son is entitled to British citizenship from birth. Is that correct?
Correct, as you would not have acquired permanent residence (settled) status until 2017.

You can still register your son as British using form MN1.

Watandar
Netherlands

Post by Watandar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Thank you for your help. Adults can apply for citizenship online, kids still have to use the form?
AnotherUUID wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:50 pm
Watandar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm
Correct, as you would not have acquired permanent residence (settled) status until 2017.

You can still register your son as British using form MN1.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm

You can also apply online.