ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in UK - Married to a Canadian - How to Immigrate

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Js14clark
Newly Registered

Living in UK - Married to a Canadian - How to Immigrate

Post by Js14clark » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello,

I am a UK citizen, married to a Canadian (who has ILR in the UK)

I am looking into my options of immigrating to Canada to live and work, with my wife and child

Looking for advice

Many Thanks

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Re: Living in UK - Married to a Canadian - How to Immigrate

Post by avro1959 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Your Canadian spouse can sponsor you. There are no income requirements, but you will have to provide extensive proof of your relationship history which should be straightforward if you have pictures and such.

I sponsored my wife several years ago - and I started at the sticky page on the another website. To find it, google “British expats spousal sponsorship Canada”. It’ll take you through the process. It’s a great wiki type page.

The only frustrating thing about this process is the time it takes - about 8-10 months.

Js14clark
Newly Registered

Post by Js14clark » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Many thanks, did she move to Canada from the UK? How was the sponsorship process?

James

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Post by avro1959 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Js14clark wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm
Many thanks, did she move to Canada from the UK? How was the sponsorship process?

James
She moved from Ireland, but it’s pretty much the same process - she had to apply to the Canadian high commission in London.

The first 2-3 months they determine the eligibility of the sponsor (Canadian), and then they process your immigration application.

They’re looking to see that the Canadian hasn’t sponsored other people before and reneged on their obligations. For you, they’re looking to test the genuineness of the marriage ie you will need to share personal information like pictures, chat logs, emails, etc to demonstrate that yours is not a “marriage of convenience”. Finally you will have to do a full medical in the UK by a physician approved by the govt of Canada.

The process is a bit involved, but not impossible. It just takes long, so you want to make sure you prepare a strong application to begin with.