ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what happens next after the EEA family permit is granted?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

janos870
Newly Registered
Mood:

what happens next after the EEA family permit is granted?

Post by janos870 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 am

i have got a question about the EU family permit, my wife just received it recently and it is valid till august, she is planning to come to Uk around June or July being we have got things to do in her country. So we will have approx 1 and half months to do her NI and bank account and find a job etc. what is happening after the permit is expired i am trying to find a proper information but i can not really, is she has to leave or she can stay after ? some of them say she need to apply for the residency card which i have already but it will expired the last day of this year so another site says she need to apply also for the EU settlement scheme to stay without any trouble. can you tell me please what is the option we have ? thanks for everyone

kamoe

Re: what happens next after the EEA family permit is granted?

Post by kamoe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am

janos870 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 am
some of them say she need to apply for the residency card which i have already but it will expired the last day of this year so another site says she need to apply also for the EU settlement scheme to stay without any trouble.
You have all the right information.

She can apply to either, but the Residence Card will only be valid until Dec 2020.
So, in her case is probably best to apply straight to the Settlement Scheme. She'll get pre-Settled status and a physical card to prove it, with which she cna stay for 5 years and work, etc.

All info here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... lsrc=aw.ds
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

janos870
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by janos870 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 am

thank you for the information it is very helpful to me and my wife, only one question more : Do you think she can do it right away or we have to wait for the NI being done?
thanks

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm

janos870 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 am
thank you for the information it is very helpful to me and my wife, only one question more : Do you think she can do it right away or we have to wait for the NI being done?
thanks
No need for NI number. Actually, it can be pretty difficult to get NINo without RC AND proof of job applications. Get the card first and then apply for NINo.

I also don't understand the part re 1 month to find her job. There's no requirement that the person on EEA FP\EU FP finds job in the UK

janos870
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by janos870 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 am

one of my friend said she need to find a job before we applying for the residence card/settled status, that is why i joined to this forum to see things clear , also he mention that when is the EEA family permit expired she can not apply for the settled status,
so you say the way is she is coming in july and do the settled status right away and do after the NI number to her ? thanks

janos870
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by janos870 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 am

iwolga wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm
janos870 wrote:
thanks
No need for NI number. Actually, it can be pretty difficult to get NINo without RC AND proof of job applications. Get the card first and then apply for NINo.

I also don't understand the part re 1 month to find her job. There's no requirement that the person on EEA FP\EU FP finds job in the UK
one of my friend said she need to find a job before we applying for the residence card/settled status, that is why i joined to this forum to see things clear , also he mention that when is the EEA family permit expired she can not apply for the settled status,
so you say the way is she is coming in july and do the settled status right away and do after the NI number to her ? thanks

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm

janos870 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 am
iwolga wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm
janos870 wrote:
thanks

You were ill advised by your friend. This might be the case for some other visas but has nothing to do with EU schemes.

Yes, once she comes to UK she need to apply for EU Settlement Scheme (technically she can still apply for EEA RC but given the timeline this seems like a waste). To apply for this she will need to quote your Settlement Status number. Though they ask about NI, there’s no requirement to have it. For someone who’s been already working in UK (not the case of your wife) it’ll serve as a proof of residency.

The application can be basically done a couple of days after she arrives to UK. She need to prove one day of residency with a bill, so make sure you include her into water/electricity bill AND the bill is issued a couple of days after she crossed the UK border

As she is non-eu and doesn’t have a biometric card, as the result of her Settlement application she’ll get pre-settled status AND residency card.

Hope this helps

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm

iwolga wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm
The application can be basically done a couple of days after she arrives to UK. She need to prove one day of residency with a bill, so make sure you include her into water/electricity bill AND the bill is issued a couple of days after she crossed the UK border
Doesn't this mean a very tight time scale for applying for settled status? She can't do it until 5 years after she arrives in the UK, but must apply within 5 years of being granted pre-settled status. It's not like the EU-scheme, where one would normally still have been lawfully resident after the RC expired.

bwunmi

Post by bwunmi » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:10 pm

janos870 wrote:
i have got a question about the EU family permit, my wife just received it recently and it is valid till august, she is planning to come to Uk around June or July being we have got things to do in her country. So we will have approx 1 and half months to do her NI and bank account and find a job etc. what is happening after the permit is expired i am trying to find a proper information but i can not really, is she has to leave or she can stay after ? some of them say she need to apply for the residency card which i have already but it will expired the last day of this year so another site says she need to apply also for the EU settlement scheme to stay without any trouble. can you tell me please what is the option we have ? thanks for everyone

My daughter got her Family permit last year. She applied Online Eu Settlement on the 3rd day she arrived. We used the family permit on her passport as a prove,did biometric on the 5th day,and got her presettle status and card in 5 weeks.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Richard W wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm
iwolga wrote:
Doesn't this mean a very tight time scale for applying for settled status? She can't do it until 5 years after she arrives in the UK, but must apply within 5 years of being granted pre-settled status. It's not like the EU-scheme, where one would normally still have been lawfully resident after the RC expired.
I didn’t think about this and I assume you are right re tight deadlines here. In all honesty, I will not be delaying traveling to UK for the most part of a 6month visa, but this seem to be unavoidable.

I’m nowhere near the expert with EUSS (and nowhere near settled status myself), but I assume that since EUSS is covered by UK immigration law, section 3C of Immigration Act will apply. So as long as the application is done on time, as in the case of pre-settled status, it shall be fine. Plus, if she applies in August for pre-settled status, it’ll probably be granted in September-October only, so will give extra month/months backup for settled status application.

I also read a few stories here, where settled status was granted for someone a couple of months short of 5 years of residency (not sure if it’s a mistake or flexible policy though).

janos870
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by janos870 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:55 am

iwolga wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 pm
Richard W wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:00 pm
iwolga wrote:
I didn’t think about this and I assume you are right re tight deadlines here. In all honesty, I will not be delaying traveling to UK for the most part of a 6month visa, but this seem to be unavoidable.

I’m nowhere near the expert with EU Settlement Scheme (and nowhere near settled status myself), but I assume that since EU Settlement Scheme is covered by UK immigration law, section 3C of Immigration Act will apply. So as long as the application is done on time, as in the case of pre-settled status, it shall be fine. Plus, if she applies in August for pre-settled status, it’ll probably be granted in September-October only, so will give extra month/months backup for settled status application.

I also read a few stories here, where settled status was granted for someone a couple of months short of 5 years of residency (not sure if it’s a mistake or flexible policy though).
it is really helpful to giving me an advice how to do this. we will do the bills and do the application in the very first days to be done everything in time,

docado

Post by docado » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am
janos870 wrote:
some of them say she need to apply for the residency card which i have already but it will expired the last day of this year so another site says she need to apply also for the EU settlement scheme to stay without any trouble.

Hi Kamoe,
I need to discuss my situation with you, plz don't mind if I haven't choosen the right thread because I targeted you to discuss with.
In fact I have applied for EU settlement scheme on the basis of EEA Family Permit granted on the basis of Extended family member(Brother) of an EU citizen. I submitted application and biometrics on 28.01.2020 and since then I haven't received anything even not COA. I am worry my Family Permit is going to expire on Friday this week.
I read somewhere that "for extended family members its must to hold a valid document i.e. family permit, cards etc. in order to get status on EU settlement scheme." I only have application number which I was generated upon successful application submission in my email. I tried to call couple of times to EUSS but didn't make any difference. Would you please correct me if I am understanding wrong. I am worrying because my FP will expire this weekend and what if they decide after that, I am afraid if I get any objection on the base of that. Your answer would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!