ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship through Descent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SandraRose
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship through Descent

Post by SandraRose » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi all,

I hope to claim Irish citizenship through descent however I'm not sure I qualify.

My grandmother was born at sea on the Irish ferry coming to England to Irish parents, and her birth registered in England.

As I understand, a person born at sea will take his/her mother's nationality. Does the fact her birth was registered in England change anything, and should I still be able to claim Irish citizenship through descent?

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Irish Citizenship through Descent

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Which year was your grandmother born? Was it your paternal or maternal grandmother?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm

SandraRose wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Hi all,

I hope to claim Irish citizenship through descent however I'm not sure I qualify.

My grandmother was born at sea on the Irish ferry coming to England to Irish parents, and her birth registered in England.

As I understand, a person born at sea will take his/her mother's nationality. Does the fact her birth was registered in England change anything, and should I still be able to claim Irish citizenship through descent?

Thanks in advance.
Does it say on her birth certificate anything specifically about being "born at sea"?
And what year she was born will have a bearing on things as well. Maritime laws can be tricky too.
jgclancy

SandraRose
Newly Registered

Post by SandraRose » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks.

I haven't had sight of her actual birth certificate yet so unsure whether it states place of birth. I'm guessing if it doesn't state born at sea then it would be difficult to prove, and she won't be regarded as having a Irish citizenship? Would ferry records have been kept you think?

SandraRose
Newly Registered

Post by SandraRose » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:34 pm

She was born 1890 and is my paternal grandmother.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm

SandraRose wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:29 pm
Thanks.

I haven't had sight of her actual birth certificate yet so unsure whether it states place of birth. I'm guessing if it doesn't state born at sea then it would be difficult to prove, and she won't be regarded as having a Irish citizenship? Would ferry records have been kept you think?
Yes, you should know what is written on the actual certificate before you do anymore. I'm sure you can order it. Until you have it you might also look for her parents Irish civil marriage record-freely available if recorded. Just to show they were married in Ireland before going to England. Not required for FBR but if it turns out you are eligible it would be a good thing to include anyway.
Probably no ferry records. People just paid and got on them like taking a bus now.
Good luck -if you need help finding her parents marriage just give me their names and area they lived.If it exists in civil records shouldn't be hard to find.

jgclancy

SandraRose
Newly Registered

Post by SandraRose » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Shame about the ferry records as I'm sure that would have helped.
Thanks so much JGClancy for this advice. I'll look in to the wedding certificate and keep you updated :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:38 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm
SandraRose wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:29 pm
Thanks.

Yes, you should know what is written on the actual certificate before you do anymore. I'm sure you can order it. Until you have it you might also look for her parents Irish civil marriage record-freely available if recorded. Just to show they were married in Ireland before going to England. Not required for FBR but if it turns out you are eligible it would be a good thing to include anyway.
Probably no ferry records. People just paid and got on them like taking a bus now.
Good luck -if you need help finding her parents marriage just give me their names and area they lived.If it exists in civil records shouldn't be hard to find.

jgclancy
Members are not permitted to post such detail on the forum. Any such information will be removed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.