ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application: salary paid in cash - is this a problem?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Citizenship application: salary paid in cash - is this a problem?

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Dear All

I would really appreciate your advice on this question. I am applying for citizenship in Ireland having achieved five years here (non EU). Since my time in Ireland, I have been working for the same employer and have been paid in cash. This is the way the employer prefers to do it and I have never questioned it. All income tax payments are up to date and my bank statements show cash lodgments into my account - although not matching my net salary as I have kept some back for day to day spending/rent etc.

In light of my imminent application and the need to submit bank account statements for 3 of the last 6 months, I am wondering whether I should ask my employer to have my salary paid into my current account. I’d really appreciate views as to whether not showing the payment of salary into my bank account would prejudice my application and if it's worth holding off for a period to address this.

I'd really appreciate your views on this. Thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship application: salary paid in cash - is this a problem?

Post by littlerr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 pm

You just have to honest. There is nothing wrong about it.

If you can, get your employer to give you a letter saying you have always been paid by cash. I can’t see how it would become an obstacle.

joker
Ireland

Post by joker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:55 am

How is this tax compliant? Employer must provide payslip and they will ask for tax statement if you say you where paid in cash

Lj0123

Post by Lj0123 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:19 am

Hi

There shouldn’t be any problem if you have received net cash. But you need to be able to provide your monthly/weekly payslips, as others have mentioned, to show that tax was deducted on your behalf by the employer. Can you provide this?

LJ

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks very much for the replies – they are really appreciated. The tax on my salary is fully up-to-date and I will be able to submit the P60s and pay slips showing this. So I will proceed by giving an explanation. Again I am more grateful than I can say for your input. Thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 pm

joker wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:55 am
How is this tax compliant? Employer must provide payslip and they will ask for tax statement if you say you where paid in cash
Whether one receives salary by cash or bank transfer has absolutely nothing to do with tax compliance.
As a PAYE employee, the only requirement is that the employer gives you the net salary (I.e. the salary after deduction of taxes). There is no legislation that says you cannot pay by cash.

joker
Ireland

Post by joker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:24 pm

You say PAYE that’s presuming tax is deducted at source and wouldn’t one want to know how much tax is being deducted?. It is illegal to NOT provide a payslip.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:30 pm

joker wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:24 pm
You say PAYE that’s presuming tax is deducted at source and wouldn’t one want to know how much tax is being deducted?. It is illegal to NOT provide a payslip.
So what's the correlation? Are you saying that because the OP is paid by cash, he could not have a payslip??

Where did the OP say that he could not provide a payslip? He has clearly said that all tax related documents are up to date.