ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice regarding ELR or alternative !

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Masih92
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Need advice regarding ELR or alternative !

Post by Masih92 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Hello everyone ! Please bear with me as I explain my situation. I have been to a few lawyers and none of them are useful in any way, and provided no help whatsoever.

So basically, I am a non-EEA citizen who married an EU citizen in 2014 and the divorce has been finalised in January 2020. From what I understand, I should be eligible for ELR and would like to apply for this. For the entire duration of the marriage, partner was and still is in full time employment and we lived together until the divorce proceedings and I have been in full time employment since the start of the divorce. She got her EU Settlement before the divorce came through.Sounds simple so far but here is what I need help with.

The ex-partner is now refusing to cooperate, I tried applying for the ELR via a lawyer but at one point it asked for her EU settlement number (UAN) and she is refusing to give it or help in any way. So what do you suggest I do ? Can I still apply for it somehow ?

Now alternatively, I have a new partner who is also a Settled EU citizen and our relationship is around a year old. We have a baby who was born in the UK. I am not sure if I can apply as her partner since we havent lived together for 2 years but I probably could go through the baby route if the ELR one doesnt work out ? The baby doesnt have a passport as of right now.

With the uncertainty hanging around come December 31, it would be nice to finally get settled with an ELR or so. I will also complete the 10 year Long Stay in one year so there is that option as well. And I am currently staying in Northern Ireland for the past 1 year and was in England before that.

The lawyers have been of very little help, it has been 4 weeks and no progress has been made and one of them just wants to charge 900 GBP while telling me absolutely nothing.What do you folk suggest I do ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you need any further information, I would be happy to provide.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Need advice regarding ELR or alternative !

Post by Obie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm

You should have applied for a Permanent Residence card. Then after that, apply under the settlement scheme.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Masih92
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Re: Need advice regarding ELR or alternative !

Post by Masih92 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Obie wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm
You should have applied for a Permanent Residence card. Then after that, apply under the settlement scheme.
Thank you for replying . Can I still apply for that ? you said should have, which idk what it implies in regards to my current situation . Thank you