ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 - Separation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

overseas_hawk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Stamp 4 - Separation

Post by overseas_hawk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 am

Hello,

I am an American citizen who has lived in Ireland for the past 17 years. I hold a stamp 4 visa that is expiring on March 29th, 2020. I originally had a visa based upon my skill set in ICT. I have been employed at a private hospital for the past 13 years. I married my wife, who is Irish, in 2008. Since then we have had two children; a nine year old girl and a 6 year old boy. They are both Irish citizens.

My wife separated from me in November 2018. I attempted to reconcile but to no avail. There was no infidelity or abuse in the relationship. We have been living separately since June 2019.
I am awaiting return of a new passport from the US Embassy in Dublin. I am fearful that the Gardai will deny the renewal of my visa despite the fact that I am still legally married. My wife and I are not legally separated. I am fearful that I will lose my job and be unable to support my children or afford a place to live. I am also fearful that I would be deported from the country. I have always been employed in this country and have contributed substantially to PAYE and PRSI.

Can you advise if you have come across similar situations? I feel very foolish that I have never taken up Irish citizenship. I never thought that I would need it as I never envisioned being separated from my wife. Also, I know that I should have actioned my visa sooner. However, with the separation, a major surgery and my mother passing recently I honestly didn’t think of it. I have been here so long that, with everything else going on, it did not cross my mind. I live in Ireland and intend to remain here. My family is here. Any advice you can offer would be fantastic.

Thanks a million.

adrianohs
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Stamp 4 - Separation

Post by adrianohs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pm

overseas_hawk wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 am
Hello,

I am an American citizen who has lived in Ireland for the past 17 years. I hold a stamp 4 visa that is expiring on March 29th, 2020. I originally had a visa based upon my skill set in ICT. I have been employed at a private hospital for the past 13 years. I married my wife, who is Irish, in 2008. Since then we have had two children; a nine year old girl and a 6 year old boy. They are both Irish citizens.

My wife separated from me in November 2018. I attempted to reconcile but to no avail. There was no infidelity or abuse in the relationship. We have been living separately since June 2019.
I am awaiting return of a new passport from the US Embassy in Dublin. I am fearful that the Gardai will deny the renewal of my visa despite the fact that I am still legally married. My wife and I are not legally separated. I am fearful that I will lose my job and be unable to support my children or afford a place to live. I am also fearful that I would be deported from the country. I have always been employed in this country and have contributed substantially to PAYE and PRSI.

Can you advise if you have come across similar situations? I feel very foolish that I have never taken up Irish citizenship. I never thought that I would need it as I never envisioned being separated from my wife. Also, I know that I should have actioned my visa sooner. However, with the separation, a major surgery and my mother passing recently I honestly didn’t think of it. I have been here so long that, with everything else going on, it did not cross my mind. I live in Ireland and intend to remain here. My family is here. Any advice you can offer would be fantastic.

Thanks a million.
You better apply now for right to remain based on your parentage of Irish citizen as you have separated for their mother you cannot renew you stamp4 based on the marriage. Or if you have at least 3 years on stamp4 from the marriage with her as she is Irish, this time is enough, and you can apply for citizenship.