ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transferring from Tier 5 youth mobility to unmarried partner visa (FLR M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TheWordMonster
Newly Registered

Transferring from Tier 5 youth mobility to unmarried partner visa (FLR M)

Post by TheWordMonster » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

My partner (Canadian) moved to the UK back in May 2018 on a Tier 5 youth mobility visa to live with me. We had been together for a while before this and had lived together whilst working in China, where we met (although there is a very slim chance of us being able to prove our cohabitation there with any paper work).

We are now looking at applying for a FLR (M) visafor her to stay as my unmarried partner, but the requirements for that are that we have been cohabiting as partners for 2 years. We don't have any bills in both names for the first few months as my partner didn't secure a job right away, although we do have a joint bank account that we set up after a couple of months. Regardless though, by the time her current visa expires we will only have bills to show that we have been living together for about 20/21 months, not the 2 years required for the visa. She did, however, make it very clear in her application for her tier 5 youth mobility visa that she was moving to the UK to be with me and that she would be living with me from day 1. I've also got plenty of documentation of things like couples holidays going back 5-6 years.

Does anyone have any experience in our situation or advice for how to proceed/how likely we are to be accepted?

geoeng
Canada

Re: Transferring from Tier 5 youth mobility to unmarried partner visa (FLR M)

Post by geoeng » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:48 pm

The general guidance on living together in a relationship akin to marriage is available at the link below. Based on this, you will have to make a decision on whether you believe the evidence you have available would be sufficient to meet the requirement. As the Tier 5 YMS visa is only valid for 2 years, unless she moved to the UK from the initial validity date of the visa, you're probably going to have to show some evidence of having lived together before she moved to the UK in order to meet the requirement of having lived together for 2 years. You would also probably have to provide reasoning for any periods spend not living together (which it sounds like there would have been).

Getting married obviously makes this easier, but entirely understand it's not what everybody wants to do.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ners-set05
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.