ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child Benefit with 'nrf' on their BRP

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

r4012209
Newly Registered

Claiming Child Benefit with 'nrf' on their BRP

Post by r4012209 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi:
My wife and child came to UK in July 2017 from india and both have "no public funds" stamped on their BRP.
my other daughter is british.
now i am applying for the extension of my wife and first daughter and i've been claiming child benefits for both children as i'm british.
will it be a issue in their extension?
thanks in advance for your advice as i'm seriously worried

r4012209
Newly Registered

Re: Claiming Child Benefit with 'npf' on their BRP

Post by r4012209 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 am

Hi:
wife has 'spouse/partner leave to enter' in front of brp and 'no public funds' on the reverse.
first daughter has 'pbs dependent leave to enter' on front of brp and 'no public funds' on reverse.
second daughter is UK born with british passport.
i'm in the process of applying for my wife's and elder daughter's first extension since coming to uk 30 months ago.
i know it has been answered numerous times but i please just wanted to confirm if i can claim in my situation since i've been claiming for both children into my account?
or will there be a problem in their extension application later this month
am worried sick
should i prepare a rejoinder that i'm claiming for both the kids and not my wife?
how should i proceed
thanks again

Aleezafatimah
Newly Registered

Re: Claiming Child Benefit with 'nrf' on their BRP

Post by Aleezafatimah » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi,
If you have ILR or British Nationality than you can claim child benefit for both of your children only in your name. Your child & wife with "no Resource to public fund" shall have no affect on their extension.

The child benefit letter you have received shows only your name, if it does then no problem at all.

I hope it gives you bit of comfort. Cheers

r4012209
Newly Registered

Post by r4012209 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Aleezafatimah wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm
Hi,
If you have ILR or British Nationality than you can claim child benefit for both of your children only in your name. Your child & wife with "no Resource to public fund" shall have no affect on their extension.

The child benefit letter you have received shows only your name, if it does then no problem at all.

I hope it gives you bit of comfort. Cheers
Dear Alizafatimah:
thanks for your wonderful answer and i'm sure many applicants and visitors to this site will be happy and wiser now.
and thanks for responding to this question, despite it being asked a million times already,
everyone needs their own comfort sometimes
and i hope you understand
thanks again and your kindness is much appreciated

r4012209
Newly Registered

Post by r4012209 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi:

Happy news

Just received the BRP cards for my wife and the kid

so, in retrosepect, in cases like mine, claiming child benefit does not negatively affect the extension application process
the online application does ask if you are claiming any benefits but the page does not list 'child benefit'
after a week of filling out the forms, it was late night and i just clicked no and ok to the form, but later realised what i had done, but couldn't return to that page, so please be awake unlike me while filling the form
i'd have preferred paper forms for so much money going into.... :twisted:
sad this group is being milked for cash
ok, the timeline:

in jan: started the process of gathering the massive amounts of paper based evidence as it takes time to arrive
in mid feb: started filling the form, took about a week, checking and rechecking the data
every word had to be matched
when i reached the benefit section which is almost the last page, i panicked
i submitted the forms on 20th and paid the visa fees and the immigration health surcharge
i got the next available appointment for 16th march at Sopra Steria premium lounge only as the free service were not available, on any date range, so force people to spend extra, good job ukvcas, more milking
since we had already scanned and uploaded every scrap of paper evidence and properly segregated and arranged in order, the person in the lounge had nothing else to do but did tell us that they are going to close the file as completed and uploaded by midnight and if we remember any document which needs to be uploaded, we have till midnight, after which the form will be closed.
received an email regarding delay to our application due to covid-19
may 28th, received email that the application had been decided
last week, received the brp's in post
so, a thank you to everyone who helped
with kind regards

addysingh
Newly Registered
India

Post by addysingh » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi,

No disrespect to Aleezafatimah , however since she is just a new member - would any othe senior members /moderators could kindly confirm that.

As i got it

If i have an ILR i can claim 'child benefit' for my child who is still on a visa and has 'no recourse to public fund" , without affecting his own chances of an ILR later ?

Please do confirm.

Kind Regards,
Adi

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:23 am

addysingh wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:19 pm
Hi,

No disrespect to Aleezafatimah , however since she is just a new member - would any othe senior members /moderators could kindly confirm that.

As i got it

If i have an ILR i can claim 'child benefit' for my child who is still on a visa and has 'no recourse to public fund" , without affecting his own chances of an ILR later ?

Please do confirm.

Kind Regards,
Adi
You shouldn't thank to other members topic. It is unfair to other users and creates confusion.

Yes if you hold ilr it is YOU claiming child benefit not the child. No issue
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

r4012209
Newly Registered

Post by r4012209 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone for responding to this post
and hope the information and tips in this post helps anyone in a similar quandary

BTW: i did prepare a rejoinder letter and scanned and attached it with the application, just in case and to be sure as well, that i'm claiming child benefit in my name only and not my wife's, for both the kids with the DWP CHB letter as evidence.

Thanks again and GOD bless

r4012209
Newly Registered

Post by r4012209 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Why it’s important to claim Child Benefit?

according to a short aritcle in:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... come%20Tax.

If you’ve just had a baby, make sure you claim before it’s three months old, (due to limited back-dating rules). Even if you think you won’t be entitled to anything, you should still apply so you don’t miss out on other entitlements.

Payments are tax-free as long as neither parent or carer earns more than £50,000 a year

If you or your partner earns over £50,000 a year, you can still claim Child Benefit. However, you’ll start to pay back some of it back in extra Income Tax.

You’ll need to pay back 1% of your family’s Child Benefit for every £100 of your income over £50,000.

If either of you earns over £60,000 a year, you’ll have to repay all of your Child Benefit in extra Income Tax.

It can be worth continuing to claim Child Benefit and paying it back, depending on your circumstances.

Did you know:

If you go back to work, a family member might be able to claim National Insurance credits if they help look after your child. Find out more about Specified Adult Childcare credits here.

Claiming Child Benefit will help you protect your State Pension.

If you’re off work looking after your child and not paying National Insurance contributions, claiming Child Benefit will ensure you get credits towards your State Pension.

If you DON’T claim, you might also miss out on:

other benefits such as Guardian’s Allowance

your child being automatically issued with a National Insurance number before their 16th birthday.

Even if you don’t think you’ll be entitled to anything because either you or your partner earns over the £50,000 tax-free limit, it’s still worth claiming so you don’t miss out on National Insurance credits.

If either of you earns over £60,000, you can always opt not to receive the payments and avoid the tax charge - but still get the entitlements.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:41 pm

r4012209 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:35 pm
Why it’s important to claim Child Benefit?

according to a short aritcle in:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... come%20Tax.

If you’ve just had a baby, make sure you claim before it’s three months old, (due to limited back-dating rules). Even if you think you won’t be entitled to anything, you should still apply so you don’t miss out on other entitlements.
That article is not about immigration. Child Benefit is a Public Fund and must not be taken by somebody who is not allowed this benefit.

Public Funds

Immigration staff guidance for how to make decisions about what UK public funds foreign nationals can claim and what action it must take if they claim funds they are not entitled to.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ds#history

Child Benefit is from page 21 and then from page 31.