ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and Covid

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

freddiekeller

Naturalisation and Covid

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Dear All,

I would like to kindly seek advice from the community on my current situation, some aspects of which might be relevant to others'. Especially, this may be relevant to those stuck abroad while COVID-19 unfolds.

I will soon be finished putting together all relevant information for my naturalisation application and I intend to make an application soon. My family are based in Switzerland and I would like to join them. However, I am afraid that if I join them now borders may be shut or leaving one's home for travelling becomes a sure-fire way of catching COVID-19. In such case-scenario, I may be stuck outside the country which will add to my days away from the UK. I understand that if I make an application tomorrow, I will not be able to go through to the biometric scan until further notice. However, I don't know whether many days spent outside the UK waiting for a biometric scan will make the HO question my future intentions. On the basis of certain scientific estimates (as per BBC.co.uk today), strict social distancing measures could be in place for approximately 13 weeks (=91 days).

I have two questions: firstly, what do you think will be the likely consequences of either making an application and leaving for Switzerland right after or making an application from Switzerland itself and stay there for around 60 to 90 days, in terms of HO questioning my future intentions vs. making an exception in light of the unique global circumstances? Secondly, do you have any other advice on how to best approach the current situation?

Some background:
- I am 23 and my family is my mother/sister/stepfather
- Occupation: I recently graduated an MSc (November) and I am currently looking for a job
- Time in the UK: I came to the UK in January 2013 and have 300 absences since Mar 2015, 33 in the last 12 months, so I have 57 to 67 days before I run out my allowance.
- Nationality & Status: I have had a Polish passport for 9 years (I have no traditionally Polish heritage but I could become a Polish national because my grandfather had been born in Poland). Moreover, I have had Settled Status for over 1 year.

Thank you very much all for your consideration

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation and Covid

Post by bruteforce » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm

You are best advised to wait, possibly for a couple of months and see what the situation is.

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:32 pm

I guess the main choice which I’m facing is:

-wait a couple of months, outside UK, and then apply, but probably exceed, by 30-90 days, last 12 months requirement to not leave UK for more than 90 days

-apply now and be left in a limbo, where if my biometrics don’t get taken it’s due to the health crisis

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Update: I have been told by my immigration lawyer that one is able to leave the country once the biometrics have been taken, but if one leaves before the application is still incomplete and thus this will compromise the application.

Is this accurate?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm

freddiekeller wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 pm
Update: I have been told by my immigration lawyer that one is able to leave the country once the biometrics have been taken, but if one leaves before the application is still incomplete and thus this will compromise the application.

Is this accurate?
That is NOT true. Nationality application is NOT an immigration application.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm

My previous message is a little confusing: my immigration lawyer said that if I leave after submitting but before biometrics are taken, then this may compromise my application because I left the country BEFORE my application was completed.

Thanks for your reply, but what is not true? If I leave before biometrics are taken then this should NOT compromise my application in theory then?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 pm

freddiekeller wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm
Thanks for your reply, but what is not true? If I leave before biometrics are taken then this should NOT compromise my application in theory then?
Correct. It does NOT affect your application. The date of application and the ONLY date that is relevant, is the date you submit and pay online.

Really hope you are not paying for such ignorant advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:19 am

freddiekeller wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm
My previous message is a little confusing: my immigration lawyer said that if I leave after submitting but before biometrics are taken, then this may compromise my application because I left the country BEFORE my application was completed.

Your lawyers is talking about the automatic withdrawal of immigration applications if you leave the UK as per procedures. BUT as I told you, a British citizenship application is a nationality application and NOT an immigration application. The automatic withdrawal does not apply here
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 am

Thank you ever so much for your replies, I fully understand the main established procedures now. It would be great if you could help with just some follow-ups:

- Do I have a limited time window (e.g. 2 weeks) to get my biometrics taken which I must not exceed, and do you believe it is likely that discretion might be exercised if I want to exceed this window because flying back into the UK is still a moderate health hazard by the time centres reopen?
- Can biometrics be taken abroad?
- If I do go over the days by quite a bit and rack up 200 absences in the last 12 months, will this not raise a few eyebrows in HO re future intentions even if at the time of application I had under 90 abs. & was in the UK?
- Would it make a difference if I submit my application from abroad, specifically Switzerland (I hold an EU passport and settled status)?

I am very sorry to inconvenience you, though if you have the chance to give me your advice I would be very grateful

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 pm

Please note that it seems the processing of all nationality applications are suspended for now. It makes no difference where you apply from. The British citizenship is based on the application date.

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:44 pm

Thank you, Zimba

I noticed that the online application form reads "You should complete your application and any further actions as usual [despite the lack of appointments owing to COVID-19]"

Given this, it would be would good better understand the implications of accumulating above/around 180 absences by the time my biometrics are taken. Will this not likely cause HO to question my future intentions?

Regarding biometrics, it would be fantastic to know whether there's a strict time window (e.g. 2 weeks) to get them taken after one receives the invitation. Moreover, can I get my biometrics done abroad?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:17 pm

freddiekeller wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:44 pm
Thank you, Zimba

I noticed that the online application form reads "You should complete your application and any further actions as usual [despite the lack of appointments owing to COVID-19]"

Given this, it would be would good better understand the implications of accumulating above/around 180 absences by the time my biometrics are taken. Will this not likely cause HO to question my future intentions?

Regarding biometrics, it would be fantastic to know whether there's a strict time window (e.g. 2 weeks) to get them taken after one receives the invitation. Moreover, can I get my biometrics done abroad?
Absences are NOT relevant after the date you apply, citizenship absences requirement is based on the period before you apply :!: :!:
There is no time window

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:23 pm

Thank you, Zimba - I appreciate your help

If anyone here is also pondering applying during the corona-crisis, please feel free to DM me if you do apply and would like to discuss our situations!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:46 am

You don't have "DM" function access.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gofornaturalisation
Newly Registered

Post by gofornaturalisation » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:09 am

Zimba wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 pm
Please note that it seems the processing of all nationality applications are suspended for now. It makes no difference where you apply from. The British citizenship is based on the application date.
Hi Zimba,

I called the HO 3 times yesterday and all 3 responses were that citizenship applications were continuing to be processed (albeit may be slower due to case workers isolating etc.). The 3rd response was quite emphatic actually that their current guidance was that citizenship applications were most definitely still being processed at the moment. Of course, if you haven't done the biometrics then its an even longer delay due to the closed centres but it sounds to me like they're pressing on with processing applications. I know a user got a different response when they called the HO a few days ago (from memory) but I was curious about your source for applications being suspended?

Cheers all and good luck.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:00 pm

This is for people who have not yet enrolled their biometrics

Ragingtiger0309
India

Post by Ragingtiger0309 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi Zimba, I applied on 1st of April, but unable to get an appointment for Biometrics yet. Do you think my application is under process, started searches or not yet? Kindly suggest. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Ragingtiger0309 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Hi Zimba, I applied on 1st of April, but unable to get an appointment for Biometrics yet. Do you think my application is under process, started searches or not yet? Kindly suggest. Thanks
No, not yet as your complete application and supporting documents are only sent to ho by ukcvas once identity check and biometrics are done.

And again, can you please ask your questions in your own topic instead of tagging onto another members thread. This is NOT a general discussion topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)