ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nigerian overstayer

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Porshaa
Newly Registered

Nigerian overstayer

Post by Porshaa » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Hey peeps

Just looking for some general advice, my partner has overstayed his 6 month visiting visa, we’ve been together for 1 year and we are looking for ways to get him legal status in the uk. We have spoken to a few immigration advisors most are saying he can apply under human rights I’m doubtful of this being granted, another said he can apply under human rights and then apply for us to get married and change the visa application to a spousal one. Does anyone have any advice on the matter please?

Tia x

Route to ILR
Member of Standing

Re: Nigerian overstayer

Post by Route to ILR » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Porshaa wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:51 pm
Hey peeps

Just looking for some general advice, my partner has overstayed his 6 month visiting visa, we’ve been together for 1 year and we are looking for ways to get him legal status in the uk. We have spoken to a few immigration advisors most are saying he can apply under human rights I’m doubtful of this being granted, another said he can apply under human rights and then apply for us to get married and change the visa application to a spousal one. Does anyone have any advice on the matter please?

Tia x
Hi

Both of u will waste time and money if u apply any visa from inside the UK.

Best way is tell him to go back to his home country. get married there and than apply spouse visa from there.

There is no way he can get visa if apply inside the UK.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:21 am

Porshaa wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:51 pm
Hey peeps

Tia x
Apply for discretionary leave to remain if you can have a baby this will fix the issue otherwise HO will prolong it as they will think this is a marriage of convenience or not in a genuine relationship hence a baby can shut all this argument &open a wide chance for the man to get a visa.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 am

if you can have a baby this will fix
Baby to help with an application then throw him back in the street when it's over :/

You cannot build a serious Human Rights after a few months or even a year of an overstaying. If the person obtained a visitor visa to the UK, it means there have been a strong demonstration of attachment to Nigeria. Going human rights route is just going to make solicitors rich.

Follow the process: back home and apply for a visa from there if you meet the requirements (revenue + accommodation)

Porshaa
Newly Registered

Post by Porshaa » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi

Both of u will waste time and money if u apply any visa from inside the UK.

Best way is tell him to go back to his home country. get married there and than apply spouse visa from there.

There is no way he can get visa if apply inside the UK.
[/quote]

Thank you for your advice

Porshaa
Newly Registered

Post by Porshaa » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 am
if you can have a baby this will fix
Baby to help with an application then throw him back in the street when it's over :/

You cannot build a serious Human Rights after a few months or even a year of an overstaying. If the person obtained a visitor visa to the UK, it means there have been a strong demonstration of attachment to Nigeria. Going human rights route is just going to make solicitors rich.

Follow the process: back home and apply for a visa from there if you meet the requirements (revenue + accommodation)

Yeh I think that too, he has 2 kids in Nigeria so if he can leave them to settle here he could have a kid here and leave too, thanks for your advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:14 pm

1. After such a short period in the UK and being from the said country, it is unlikely he will qualify for a human rights application. A person normally needs many years of being in the UK, usually 20 years, to qualify or have extensive British direct family, ie spouse and kids.

2. Are you sure he not possibly already married with a spouse in Nigeria?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.