ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to reapply for ILR after passport renewal?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Canopus
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Need to reapply for ILR after passport renewal?

Post by Canopus » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Dear all,

Hope you are keeping well in these times.

My spouse will complete 12 months on ILR and become eligible for British citizenship in August. They renewed their non-EEA passport last month as it was expiring before August. I have a couple of questions below:

1. Is it mandatory for them to reapply for ILR so it is issued to the new passport before August in order to apply for British citizenship, or can they apply for BC using the current ILR with both the old and new passports?

2. Can they travel outside the UK and return to the UK if they carry both old and new passports, or will they be stopped at the border?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. Keep safe everyone.

Best wishes,
C

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Need to reapply for ILR after passport renewal?

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:37 pm

1. No you don't reapply for ilr simply because a passport was renewed.

2. Yes,free to travel with a valid passport and brp card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Canopus
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Canopus » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Many thanks for your prompt reply, CR001. I think I might not have asked the correct question regarding 1.

I understand they now have ILR and don't need to reapply for ILR. What I meant was whether they will have to apply for a new BRP card updated for the new passport before applying for British citizenship, or can they apply for BC using the ILR BRP issued on the old passport? Apologies for not being clear before.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
C

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:22 am

Canopus wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 pm
Many thanks for your prompt reply, CR001. I think I might not have asked the correct question regarding 1.

I understand they now have ILR and don't need to reapply for ILR. What I meant was whether they will have to apply for a new BRP card updated for the new passport before applying for British citizenship, or can they apply for BC using the ILR BRP issued on the old passport? Apologies for not being clear before.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
C
BRP data has no connection to passport that needs to be replaced. They do not need to do anything
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Canopus
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Canopus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 am

Many thanks for your response. Much appreciated. I was worried their British citizenship application could be rejected if we used ILR BRP card issued on previous passport.

Stay safe.

C