ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status for Surinder Singh dependant

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JaneBea
Newly Registered

Settled Status for Surinder Singh dependant

Post by JaneBea » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 pm

I am asking on behalf of someone. He is British and his non-British elderly father is resident in the UK under Surinder Singh. Due to deteriorating mental health, his father may need to go into sheltered accommodation. This means his father will become entirely financially dependent on the state, and his British son won't be financing him anymore. Since the father will no longer be dependent on the Brit, would he still be eligible for Settled Status if he applies for it?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Settled Status for Surinder Singh dependant

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm

It's a classic situation unfortunately. As I pointed it many times, most people can't afford a dependent adult. A massive disposable income is required to meet the financial burden of having non-working adult at home. Many of these EEA dependency claims end up as dependency claims against the taxpayer.

Pre-settled may claim public funds.

After 5 years, the Home Office may check the dependency again. Actually, sometimes you see "dependency is assumed". So it could be as well as the parent would get his settled status even if he is supported by State. But you can't be 100% sure as the Home Office may ask for proof of dependency.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Settled Status for Surinder Singh dependant

Post by Obie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Pre-settled may claim public funds.

After 5 years, the Home Office may check the dependency again. Actually, sometimes you see "dependency is assumed". So it could be as well as the parent would get his settled status even if he is supported by State. But you can't be 100% sure as the Home Office may ask for proof of dependency.
I am not sure your post is correct.

I am prepare to accept the first advise, on the basis that you used the term "MAY".

However, a person do not qualify for public funds simply because they hold pre Settled status.

They can only qualify if they meet the right of residence test.

In relation to your second point, i respectfully disagree.

Once a dependent family member has acquired Pre Settled status, they are no longer required to demonstrate dependency once their 5 years residence has been acquired.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors