ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of residence required for citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lilliablanca2
Newly Registered
France

Proof of residence required for citizenship application

Post by lilliablanca2 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Hello,

I am a French citizen holding settled status granted in Oct '19 (before the usual 5yrs residence requirement due to my application being based on a settled family member). I am looking to now apply for citizenship and I hope to be able to do that at the end of the year.

I want to base my application on entering the UK in Dec '15. On that stay, I spent 10 days in the UK before returning to France for 2 weeks. After returning to the UK, I spent two weeks here before going back to France for 5 months (finishing school). On my return to the UK in June '16, I started work & later school here and combined have only spent only 71 days abroad in total to this date.

Those dates mean I am well under the allowed 450 days within the 5 years of residence. However, I am hesitant if I may call the Dec '15-June '16 period as "residence". Is it within the rules for me to apply in December later this year counting that period as residence? Is there any requirement to submit any proof of residence and in that case, how may I do that to cover that period? If it makes any difference, I was 14/15 years old at that time but I will be of course applying as an adult.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of residence required for citizenship application

Post by CR001 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Yes, an an EU citizen, you are required to provide evidence of residence for the whole 5 years due to your passport not being stamp when you arrive in the UK et,.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 pm

I want to base my application on entering the UK in Dec '15.
You can't actually select the exact five year period of residency for naturalisation, as would be the case for PR applications.
Your absences and other documentation must relate to the five years immediately preceding the naturalisation application date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

lilliablanca2
Newly Registered
France

Post by lilliablanca2 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm
Yes, an an EU citizen, you are required to provide evidence of residence for the whole 5 years due to your passport not being stamp when you arrive in the UK et,.
Thank you! So, if I provided two round-trip flight tickets for the two entries in December/January and one one-way to the UK in June, alongside payslips/P60’s and education documents covering the period from June onwards, would that be appropriate to prove residence for that entire period?