ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

madiapp
Newly Registered

Spouse visa extension question

Post by madiapp » Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 pm

My husband is applying for his 2.5 year extension for spouse visa. I realised my passport ran out in Jan 2020 and there is only 5 weeks left until his visa runs out. Due to coronavirus I can't renew my passport with priority service. Also there are delays for normal passport service so it could take weeks.

Shall I still send my passport to get it renewed even though it won't probably come back on time?

What does this mean for the spouse visa extension? Is it more likely to be rejected without passport?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Spouse visa extension question

Post by seagul » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm

madiapp wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 pm
My husband is applying for his 2.5 year extension for spouse visa. I realised my passport ran out in Jan 2020 and there is only 5 weeks left until his visa runs out. Due to coronavirus I can't renew my passport with priority service. Also there are delays for normal passport service so it could take weeks.

Shall I still send my passport to get it renewed even though it won't probably come back on time?

What does this mean for the spouse visa extension? Is it more likely to be rejected without passport?
Another hidden problem you will certainly encounter is that the application won't move forward in the absence of valid expiry date of passport.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Spouse visa extension question

Post by geoeng » Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 am

madiapp wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 pm
Are you saying the Sponsor's passport is expired (that of the British citizen or settled person)? Technically this isn't required in the application for an extension nor do I believe it's details are requested in the application form. You have to provide evidence of the Sponsor's immigration status in the UK but this does not specifically have to be a valid UK passport as far as I can tell from the FLR(M) application form and associated document checklist that will be generated when the application is completed.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.