ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I qualify for applying for British citizenship due to the new updates?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

FiuMax
Newly Registered
Hungary

Do I qualify for applying for British citizenship due to the new updates?

Post by FiuMax » Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi everyone.
I am an EEU citizen , who came to UK in september 2013. Never was student or self sufficient person. Haven’t started working straight away, as was looking after my son and relied on my partner.
In september 2014 started working and am continuously employed till today.
In january 2019 was granted settled status.
Do I qualify to apply for British citizenship now and will these new updates regarding lawful residence of EEU citizens and CSI have any impact on me?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

FiuMax
Newly Registered
Hungary

Re: Do I qualify for applying for British citizenship due to the new updates?

Post by FiuMax » Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am

Please, can any of the experst look into that for me.🙏🏻

uklondonn
Spain

Post by uklondonn » Sun May 24, 2020 2:10 am

That's a minimum of a 7 months gap.
You need 5 years of continuous employment (or CSI or a valid status) before the date you applied for Settle Status as far as I understood...
So yes, you are affected.

From the Guide:

You must assess whether the individual has been here lawfully during their 3 or 5 year residential period prior to pre-settled status or settled status, by considering on the balance of probabilities whether they were here:

-as a qualified person (such as a worker, student, self-employed, selfsufficient, retired or incapacitated person)
-as the family member of such a person.

Please, read the guide carefully as there are other ways that perhaps you can avoid this issue.

FiuMax
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by FiuMax » Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

But what i understand from here:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/it-just ... -citizens/

“ It should also be possible to rely on residence since being granted pre-settled or settled status without supporting evidence. The policy says that “once granted pre-settled status, [citizenship applicants] will not need to demonstrate that they were exercising a treaty right”. Compliance with the EEA Regulations is relevant to “residence prior to the grant of pre-settled status, or settled status”.

I can rely on residence since receiving settled status. So, as I started working in September 2014, and have evidence of it, my 5 year qualifying residency period is ending in September 2019. So i should be able to apply for citizenship after september 2020.
Correct me if i am wrong.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Sun May 24, 2020 12:05 pm

I would agree with your interpretation. There also is a paragraph in the guidance of exercising discretion so I think if you apply after September you should be fine but obviously this is uncharted territory so far.

castorp
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by castorp » Sun May 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Yup, given what you wrote above, you can try applying.

mary jane89
Newly Registered
Estonia

Post by mary jane89 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:57 pm

I was literally crying today when I read the update, still am. This is CRUEL UNFAIR and ABSURD, Orwellian even,

It even says "The applicant must provide a copy of their comprehensive sickness insurance policy, for the duration of their stay in the UK under the EEA Regulations. CSI is a legal requirement for EEA and Swiss students, self-sufficient persons and their family members who are residing in the UK with them."

My university never ever told me I needed CSI, I would have happily paid thousands for it, I never knew I needed one. How can they say it was unlawful? My surgery never asked me for this document. Now despite settled status and working like an animal in a high stress highly skilled industry and just passed my citizenship test I find out I can't apply for this !!!

I am beyond disgusted. I paid so much tax, volunteered and did everything right, now I will have to wait 2 more years and by then surely they will implement another discriminatory policy and I'll never achieve this. I have volunteered, did everything right