ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship - mother acquired citizenship after son's birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Earlgreytea20
Newly Registered
Sweden

Applying for British Citizenship - mother acquired citizenship after son's birth

Post by Earlgreytea20 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi, I'm posting here because I'm not finding the regulations entirely clear and I haven't come across a post answering my question yet.

Would there be any possibility of applying for British citizenship via a parent if they obtained their UK passport in their own right after you were born?

I was born in Sweden and I've spent the vast majority of my childhood and adult life here (roughly 15 years in the UK across two different periods). I've done my university here and have paid taxes and national insurance when working.

I recently got EU Settled status and I thought that applying via this route was the only option available to me, but the re-introduction of CSI has complicated things as I was not covered by health insurance as a university student (this was before the Brexit referendum).

My mother was born in Peru but got her UK citizenship 15 years ago, so is there any way I could apply through her? Otherwise I guess I'd have to wait 5 years from now to cover CSI, which seems quite unfair.

Any clarification of this would be fantastic, or please redirect me if a similar question has been answered before in these forums.

secret.simon

Re: Applying for British Citizenship - mother acquired citizenship after son's birth

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 24, 2020 3:18 pm

There is no route to acquire citizenship through a parent if you are over the age of 18, except in some very specific circumstances of children of people who were British citizens at the time of the person's birth, but who could not pass on their British citizenship under the law at the time (eg being born abroad before 1983 to a British mother or born abroad to an unmarried British father before 2006).

The latter exceptions do require the parent to have been a British citizen at the time of the child's birth, but not able to pass on their British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Earlgreytea20
Newly Registered
Sweden

Re: Applying for British Citizenship - mother acquired citizenship after son's birth

Post by Earlgreytea20 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Perfect, thanks for clarifying!